Corsair Community

Rampage V Extreme and CMU64GX4M4C3200C16R no xmp

Stone87

I have upgraded to the memory CMU64GX4M4C3200C16R for my motherboard and it was listed as compatible by the memory finder. I have no setting for xmp at all and the computer has already crashed once on default settings in bios. does anyone know of any settings i should use to run at 3200mhz or should i just get a refund seeing as the memory doesn't work properly. i also have the latest bios to date from the asus website.

Thanks

64GB is a lot of memory to run 3200MHz on HW-E. It certainly may be possible, but I am not surprised it wasn't plug and play. In the (F7) Advanced BIOS, there is no setting for 'XMP Tuning' at the very top of the AI Tweaker column? It should be Auto/Manual/XMP in the drop down menu. If you still can't see the XMP option, that might be indicative of a defective kit or incompatibility. Not super promising that it crashed at 2133, although that certainly could be from another source.

Either way, on the Asus X99 series specifically, XMP may not be the way to go. I have had far more success from the beginning letting the board choose the secondary and tertiary timings. Enter the XMP values (16-18-18-36-T2) in the DRAM timing sub-menu just below the frequency setting (still in the AI Tweaker column). Leave the secondary and tertiary values on Auto. You will need to continue down the AI tweaker column until you reach the voltage section. Set DRAM AB and CD to 1.35v. You will also need a boost to System Agent voltage. It's hard to say how much, since every CPU has a different default value. It probably will need between 0.1 and 0.2 offset, so start at 0.15. The default Asus value is +0.30v and might be even more with 64GB. Oddly, their own people call that value ridiculous and too much SA can cause other issues.

Frankly, I am not sure this will work either. For 64GB, 2666MHz seems like a more reasonable target. If 3200 won't boot or stay up, you could try again at 2666 with 14-16-16-33. That is a fairly conservative set of timings and those could likely be tightened later. However, given the expense of the kit, you may also wish to re-evaluate your options if it won't run and decide whether you need the capacity or the bandwidth more.

Archived