Corsair Community

Advice on Titan X cooling

sdw62

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building a new computer and have decided on a Titan X (Pascal). The cooling of the card has come into question and am too amateurish to design and implement a custom water loop so it seems the only option is an AIO approach. After researching this topic some, and having had great experiences with Corsair products in the past, I have decided to use the Hydro Series HG10 N980 so that I can mount a CPU AIO.

There are various water coolers available from Corsair and I am not sure which is the most appropriate for this build. Would the H115i be too much? Would it be better to stick to something smaller? I appreciate the help!

You will need to be careful which Titan X you get as the HG10 N980 is only compatible with reference cards. Different makers use different circuit boards for their cards, to allow them to use (for example) triple cooling fans so the HG10 may not be compatible with them.

This from the Corsair page for the HG10 N980.

Compatible with reference design Nvidia GPUs

The HG10 N980 fits GPUs based on the Nvidia GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti and GTX Titan X. Not sure if yours is compatible? Check the compatibility list on the tech specs page.

There are hybrid brackets for the Maxwell Titan that can be modified to fit the pascal version. A quick google should yield several videos. However, you may wish to consider if you want to void the warranty on day 1. At this point, it seems unlikely Nvidia will release an official liquid cooling adapter for the titan.

The smart move would be to wait another 2 weeks and see what is dropped at CES, which will surely include the 1080 Ti and some hybrid versions. I'm in the same boat, although the I am finding the waiting harder than expected.

The 1070 is a very respectable card! I am actually using this card as part of my research. I use artificial neural networks to solve problems in Q-learning. Some of these programs can take quite awhile to run so heating is a problem. If I were building a personal machine on my own dime I would go with the 1070.

On the subject of which card I get, to my understanding the only place to purchase the new Titan X is from Nvidia directly. I have heard of people modifying EVGA AIO coolers designed for the older Titan X cards to work with the new ones, but perhaps it would be more sensible to just wait for CES.

Thanks everyone!

On the subject of which card I get, to my understanding the only place to purchase the new Titan X is from Nvidia directly. I have heard of people modifying EVGA AIO coolers designed for the older Titan X cards to work with the new ones, but perhaps it would be more sensible to just wait for CES.

That is the process I was referring to and given your intended application I can see why you are looking at the Titan and not a Ti. I have watched 3 or 4 different people do it. If you leave the plastic shroud off, no modification may be necessary. That probably is the smart thing to do and I am considering this as well. Since I am not tied to one product of the other, I will wait and see. Unfortunately, we know the Titan won't drop in price no matter what happens at CES. I suppose we could hold out hope for a Nvidia designed adapter, but since they cut their partners out of the Titan market, putting out a water cooled version right as the Ti launches would likely not go down well with their friends at EVGA, Asus, MSI, etc..

Sorry, I tend to forget that on here, people don't know me and therefore don't realise when I'm being facetious/sarcastic. I had the choice between the 1070 and the 1080, but I couldn't really justify (not even to myself) spending 50% extra for 15% to 20% gain, so I bought the 1070 and I'm happy with it. 1440P gaming at max resolution and even 4K is possible.

Archived