Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 and A7N8X-E not really compatible?

Diznavis

I have about 10 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards in the office. They all have Athlon XP 3200+ cpu's, the latest bioses, and 1GB Corsair VS PC3200. They were built at different times, and while the individual 512mb modules were usually cheaper, sometimes the 1gb kits were cheaper, and I bought whichever was cheaper at the time. The individual modules have worked great, but not one of the kits has worked properly. One had a bad module, so that one doesn't really count. but two other ones would only get errors in dual channel mode. after trying everything conceivable with each set, they went back to newegg for a refund, and they were replaced with individual 512mb modules, which work great. On the most recent one, it was sent back for a replacement of the same kind, and the replacement is now having the same problems. All the failures have occurred with Memtest-86 v3.2 running a continuous loop of test #5 (because it was always failing in that test) With the current set, I set the voltage to 2.7v and ran the test for 72 hours (about 2500 passes) and it found one pair of errors (they always come in pairs) on pass #2402. Swapping the modules to each other's slot resulted in a pair of errors on pass #177. Swapping the modules made big differences like that with all of the 1gb kits (in some cases, many errors would occur on every pass with them in one order, but it would take a long time to get an error if they were swapped), but had no effect whatsoever with the 512mb modules sold individually.

I had initally thought that it was just a coincidence that the 1gb kits were the only modules having problems, but now with another one with the same problems, I'm really starting to think that there's a compatibility problem.

So far, 2.8v has done the trick for this pair - almost 1000 passes without an error so far, but i wont trust it until it still hasn't had an error on monday morning. spread spectrum has been disabled all along. i haven't tried using the black slot and one of the blue ones.

Archived