Corsair Community

Can malicious firmware install on the K65 LUX

RoundDuckMan

I know I got another question here, but one other thing making me a bit worried is the possibility of malware. I found out you can update the firmware on it, and that you can use firmware from your local drive. I'm worried about the possibility of me installing malicious firmware, due to my OCD inserting thoughts that I might have installed bad stuff. Also if it's true, will holding ESC before plugging in (and of course a little after) reset it?

EDIT: Yes it's a stupid question, but I got to satisfy my OCD. I use keyboards to type passwords you know. :P

Well unless someone figures out how to make a firmware file that would pass CUE's checks, you should be fine. That option is there mostly for the beta testers to load in beta firmware that is not on the update server. And for users that might need older firmware, for whatever reason.

Well unless someone figures out how to make a firmware file that would pass CUE's checks, you should be fine. That option is there mostly for the beta testers to load in beta firmware that is not on the update server. And for users that might need older firmware, for whatever reason.

You're saying CUE has checks? What about the keyboard itself? What if I use alternate programs like ckb (It seems to have a firmware updater too)?

You're saying CUE has checks? What about the keyboard itself? What if I use alternate programs like ckb (It seems to have a firmware updater too)?

And yes CUE has built in checks to make sure the firmware is valid. The keyboard doesn't have anything as I know. But honestly I most likely wouldn't be allowed to tell you even if I did. Security reasons.

CKB isn't supported by Corsair so if something happens you would be on your own. I would ask the dev about that.

LOL That is a precise number there.

Sorry if the question I've asked was dumb, just a little paranoid. :D:

I still like to know if the keyboard itself has some feature that prevents malware/custom firmware/whatever. Like as if it wouldn't run it at all unless it has the proper signatures or whatever.

Archived