Corsair Community

Seeking recommendations for memory 400Mhz DDR in ASUS A8V Deluxe gamer rig

hayseed

I would to solicit your input on proper memory configuration for a new dedicated gaming PC -- both online and local games.

The base system is an ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard w/AMD Athlon 64 3400 chip. I'm adding an PNY nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra and a 500 watt PS.

The problem is I'm new to this whole build your own thing and I need some input from the guru's on this board. I've surfed around at several of the brand name memory sites and this one has some of the best support I've seen. That plus the technical write ups on Corsair really make this the memory I want.

The problem is I don't have enough background to decide on whether I need 1GB, 2GB, or even 4GB. For PC3200 400 Mhz simms, I've heard its best to keep it down to 2 sticks to reduce load and to keep the FSB speed up to 400 and not 333.

I'm currently looking at either:

1GB TWINX1024-3200XL 1GB Kit

2GB TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2GB Kit

So there you have it. I hope that's info background to let ya'll make an informed recommendation. If not, just let me know what else I need to supply.

Thank you all in advance for your time. I look forward to reading your replies.

Sincerely,

Future Corsair customer :biggrin:

If you want to run in Dual Channel you most definately need 2 sticks. It will depend on which A64 chip you're going to run and mobo. (EDIT: ok, that asus board and chip give you dual channel.....)

Usually 1 gig of ram will be plenty, especially if you're building a gaming rig. Guys that do HEAVY video editing and such like to have extra ram....for a gaming rig it's over kill IMO.

I'm ordering a new A64 set up next week too....I'm going with the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo, socket 939 3400+ with a winchester core. I just got some TwinX1024pc3200c2pt for the ram and will power it with an Antec NeoPower 480.....(That psu took 1st place in a 10 PSU shootout in MaximumPC January issue. AWESOME psu.....:)

Just got a BFG6800GT OC for Christmas too so my rig should be "complete" by end of January....wOOt wOOt!!

Personally I'd go with the Nvidia chipset...which that MSI board has. I've researched the daylights out of this and that board has been voted the best pretty much everywhere I look. Overclocks like a dream, easy set up, easy to keep BIOS, drivers, and such up to date as well with their Live Update feature. ASUS boards do rock, so don't anyone start yelling at me. I just think that Nvidia's chipset is the best. Plus the board is all black.....looks great.

As for going with Corsair ram...once you do so you won't go anywhere else. The ram I just bought replaced some XMS pc2700c2. It's what I bought on my first complete build as well and it runs flawlessly. The MSI board and cpu in my signature were part of my first build too and I can't say enough good things about the ease and performance of MSI and AMD...

Well you've already picked the best choices for 1 or 2 GB. What online games are you thinking of playing? I know some games (e.g. SW:G) LOVES memory, I think it can use up to 1.25 or so GB just by itself if it's allowed to (although it'll restrain itself to 75% of system memory).

Well you've already picked the best choices for 1 or 2 GB. What online games are you thinking of playing? I know some games (e.g. SW:G) LOVES memory, I think it can use up to 1.25 or so GB just by itself if it's allowed to (although it'll restrain itself to 75% of system memory).

Hi Wired, thanks for the commentary. I'm currently playing WWII Online. Its been around a while but is starting to experience a rebirth with all the WWII movies and console games.

See it at:

http://www5.playnet.com/bv/wwiiol/index.jsp

My current box (Dell) is at its life's end so it will be relagated to office chores. The the new ASUS box will get the fun jobs like WWIIOL or some others I have lusted for like HL2 and FarCry! :sunglasse

I'd like this to be "sustainable" for future games, too. So I don't mind getting more than I need now; I like things that are "over engineered" so to speak. :D:

HL2 and Farcry will scream when you're done. Be hard to pull you away from your keyboard!

I also suggest HEAVILY Call of Duty. The single player campaigns are as good as it gets and the online mode will keep you entertained for hours and hours and hours....Although CoD doesn't require that much rig. Most lowend machines can handle it. Oh, and don't forget the expansion pack they just released a few months ago....United Offensive.

I'd say take the money you would save by only getting 1 gig and get an Audigy2 ZS sound card and some nice 5.1 speakers. If you don't wanna spend a lot on the speaks, I have Logitech Z640's and I never turn it more than half way up and I play things loud...sounds great too. I think I picked up my set from Newegg for 50 bucks. Wanna spend a little more? The Z-680's offer a lot more wattage.

Keep us up to speed on your build. And help is always here if you get stuck. Oh, and don't go cheap-o, no name brand on the PSU...it will come back to haunt you.

HL2 and Farcry will scream when you're done. Be hard to pull you away from your keyboard!

I hope so!

I also suggest HEAVILY Call of Duty. The single player campaigns...

Cool, don't know much about that one; I'll check into it.

I'd say take the money you would save by only getting 1 gig and get an Audigy2 ZS sound card and some nice 5.1 speakers....

This MB has 7.1-channel sound but I could use some good speakers once and while. I use headphones alot; gotta keep the 16 month toddler asleep!

Oh, and don't go cheap-o, no name brand on the PSU...it will come back to haunt you.

Copy that. Was looking at the Ultra X 500 or the Thermaltake Silent Pure 560.

Keep us up to speed on your build. And help is always here if you get stuck.

Thanks again. I'll drop ya'll a line on it when all the parts come together. :D:

Archived