Corsair Community

Pre-POST failure with MSI X99S and CMK16GX4M4B3000C15

ra0r6T0iL26U

I put together a new system in Feb. 2015 with specs listed in my profile and 16 GB (4x4) RAM. Everything was fine until Sept. 2016, when I had some program crashes. I went to reboot the system and it wasn't shutting down, so I hard cycled the power. At that point, nothing came up. Blank screen, no system beeps, no POST codes, nothing.

After a lot of Googling I figured out that it was likely a problem with memory, so I removed all components (video, USB, HDD, etc.) and was able to get the system to boot with 2 of the 4 DIMMs. I put in for an RMA with Corsair and got the replacement DIMMs. I put each stick through the Windows 10 memory integrity check individually and then all 4 together and all passed. So far, so good.

Fast forward to beginning of Dec. 2016. Same symptoms recur. This time, however, I am getting inconsistent behavior when trying out different combinations of RAM. I had been able to get a successful POST involving all four of the DIMMs, but it won't work with all 4.

I do not have any overclocking customization in place.

I have filed for the RMA, but I am worried that this may only be addressing the symptom and not the problem.

Does anyone have thoughts/advice on how to discern whether I have a memory problem vs. a motherboard problem?

For reference, I have found mention of others having similar problems on NewEgg and Amazon reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RPPWFTSUFVIFR/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00N2H1EAI

Archived