Corsair Community

Asus A8N Sli w/ TWINX1024-3200XLPT memory Problems

matthewcoo

Asus A8N Sli w/ TWINX1024-3200XLPT memory Problems

Okay so here is the scoop. All brand new parts, christmas computer.....

I have read some on this site and you claim it is compatible. It is not stable. I get blue screens of death about every 20 minutes sometimes during bootup and actually just got one as Im typing haha. Basically the computer is unusable. The only way I could install xp pro is by using one memory stick or I would get the BSOD irqL not less than or equal error message. took 6 hours to install that, then it took forever to get sp2 to install, had to reformat my hdd's twice and start over, because it would say unmountable boot volume and I couldn't get past that without redoing the raid 0. The raid 0 is on the Nforce4. Now After installing it would stay on some and then just go to blue screen and do memory dump mostly saying error BSOD memory tried to execute non executable memory. It will stay on for about 20 minutes usually. And I can use the computer kinda normally. Some things send it to BSOD immediatley. I have been transfering files as much as I can before it shuts off.

I have put them in slot A1 and B1 when both in and with one in just in slot B1 as it says in manual. What is going on?

specs.

3500+ winchester

zalman 7000

intake and exhaust 120mm fans

asus sli

380 antec truepower psu came with sonata case

TWINX1024-3200XLPT (2 x 512mb)

msi 6600gt

2 x 160 GB WD hdds in Raid 0 on nforce4

bios settings:

i have tried all of the following with both modules in at same time and each by theirselves:

standard/auto settings

standard but with specifying 2.75 voltage

i tried setting voltage and 2 2 2 5 settings specifically.

Bios version 1002

any help or similar situations? I thought this was the best memory but it is turning out to be terrible. I really don't want to have to mess with returning it. What is the deal? THANKS!!!!

Welcome to the forums, matthewcoo!

You should try 2.8 or 2.85 volts with those particular memory modules, mine weren't stable until I hit 2.8 volts.

Also, you're on the bare minimum of power for that system. Even using out-dated power consumption lists (I.E. your hardware is faster/better), I get nothing less than 340 watt's and that's at 80%.

IMHO, get a new power supply.

PLUR

CK

Thanks, I will try 2.8 if i use 2.85 can that damage it? How can I tell if it is damaging it or will it just reboot? also. I only have one graphics card... it said 350 was good but yea i should get a better one, but i thought since it is a truepower one that they were true wattage and even higher sometimes.... i have no other things hooked up really except a usb printer... thats it

More suggestions...??? anyone have same setup? thanks

i ran memtest for 2 and a half passes and it had 19,261 errors. Mostly from test 5.

after 2 passes it had

test 4 4 errors

test 5 12932 errors

test 6 5 errors

test 7 2 errors

That was with both dimms in.

This is what some of them said

failed address Good Bad err-bits

0002fd0b268 -765.6MB 00010008 00010000 00000008

0002fd0b2a8 00020008 00020000 00000008

0002fd0b2e8 00040008 00040000 00000008

0002fd0b228 00080008 00080000 00000008

0002fd0b368 00100008 00100000 00000008

and the pattern repeated from about 100MB to the 765.6MB

another one was

0002b40aca8 -692.6MB fffffff7 ffffffff 00000008

What can anyone make of this???

Bad memory huh? because it spans across both mem modules right because those errors go from 100 to 765MB is that correct? So I have two bad modules? Any ideas????

Thanks

matt

So I ran it on each stick, one stick was Zero Errors after 2 passes.

The other had 3676 errors on one pass, all on test 5. So what is the deal?

WHat else can I try?

If they are indeed bad...

How do I go about returning these and should i get different ones for this motherboard or should these actually work? Thanks matt

Lets get your module or modules replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

OKAY i followed your page and did a RMA thingy on the NewEgg website since I just bought them from there. I hope they take care of this fast. I'm sick of dealing with it! Thank You for your help!

I was just reading on the memtest website the following....

There have been numerous reports of errors in only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.

Although it does say the errors are legitmate and should be corrected... still return??? I thought this was top of the line memory that can stay up with athon in dual channel mode...?

• 4 weeks later...
New Modules work perfect, no mem test errors compared to previously getting 12,000 errors. Still was unstable until i switched the hardrives to the silicon chip in RAID instead of the Nvidia Controller. also turning on ECC helped, It is completely flawless. and VERY FAST perfect. Thanks for the help.

Archived