Corsair Community

Corsair 4300c3pro Vs. 5400c4pro

Hi, i am really new at RAM and everything. I want to know if the latencies are very important. The 5400c4 has latencies of 4-4-4-12 and the 4300c3 has 3-3-3-8. What would this mean in performance? I would think that the 5400 should be better...but i really have no idea. Which of these modules would perform better?

I plan on building a system with these parts:

Pentium 4 3.2E Ghz 800 Mhz FSB socket 775 (prescott core)

1 GB of Corsair Twin2x1024-5400c4 RAM (4-4-4-12@1.9v)

ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition Graphics Card (PCI-express)

Western Digital Hard drive - WD1600JB - 160 gb hd, 7200rpm, 8mb cache

Western Digital Hard Drive - WD2500JB - 250 gb hd, 7200rpm, 8mb cache

Asus p5ad2-e premium motherboard

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer limited edition

Sony 1.44 floppy drive

TWO Lite-on SOHW1633 DVD+-RW drives (Dual layer)

Windows XP Home edition SP2

Raidmax case - 668WBP i believe is the description...but doesnt really matter.

I havent decided on a power supply yet, it will be one of these:

------------------------------------------------------------------

ENERMAX COOLERGIANT EG485AX-VHB 2.0 AX 480W PSU, SMART FAN, SEPARATE 12V RAILS, DUAL FAN, MANUALLY ADJUST POWER SUPPLY.

http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/pro...PSENGE485AX-VHB

------------------------------------------------------------------

Antec Neopower 480 watt 120mm fan ATX 12V v2.0 power supply Active PFC

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...iate=pricewatch

-------------------------------------------------------------------

OCZ PowerStream 520W Power Supply OCZ520ADJ - 520W

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_...roducts_id=3926

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, if anyone would suggest one of these, i would appreciate it :)

IMNO, that Antec PSU is a pretty good one.

As for your setup...

The 4300's will run at stock settings on your mainboard (DDR533) while the 5400's require you to overclock your settings in order to run them at PC5400.

FYI, that's 675MHz or, if you will, a 333MHz BUS rate instead of the stock fastest of 266MHz (1:1 is a 1066FSB at THIS speed!).

So... if you're into overclocking, then get the 5400's. If you want to run at stock speeds, the 4300's will perform better because of the lower latencies.

As for the rest of your setup, looks really good and I think you'll be very happy.

PLUR

CK

Well...i really dont know anything about overclocking and all of that. So, i will probably get the 4300's. that 1066mhz ...does that have anything to do with the processor? 800MHz fsb? If i get the 5400's will i have to get a different processor that has 1066MHz fsb?

To make things simpler...i think i will probably just get the 4300c3 module. Is there gonna be a huge difference between getting the 5400's and the 4300's? If it is gonna make a big difference (the whole point of this comp is to make it last a long time and still be decent) I would probably want to get the better performer.

ALSO...is there some different parts that i could get that would work perfectly with the 5400 modules? If i can spend a little bit more to get the better parts, i would rather spend the money now. I thought that the Asus P5AD2-E Premium was one of the best...so i dont know what i could change that would allow me to use the 5400 modules at stock, so i wouldnt have to overclock.

The P5AD2-E Premium is a very nice board and does in fact support the newest Extreme Edition CPU's w/a 1066FSB.

ASUS claims that this will also run w/out too much tweaking with DDR-II 711, somewhat faster than the PC5400's will do at stock.

HOWEVER, the Intel Pentium 4 EE 3.46GHz CPU with a 1066FSB costs just over $1,000.00 USD, so when you say you'll want to spend a "little" more, this probably isn't what you're talking about.

At STOCK SPEEDS, the P5AD2-E Premium should be able to run an 800FSB and DDR600. This exceeds the specifications of the PC4300 modules and thus to do this I would get the PC5400's, even though you would be slightly underclocking them.

If I were you, I'd go with a 3.2 or 3.4 Pentium, the PC5400 memory, and the P5AD2 mainboard, then run an 800FSB and DDR600. These are simple BIOS options to enable these settings and you shouldn't have problems doing so.

so i dont know what i could change that would allow me to use the 5400 modules at stock, so i wouldnt have to overclock.

You're not understanding me... You MUST overclock your system to use these modules with an 800FSB processor. In fact, you must overclock your system to use these modules even with a 1066 processor, but ASUS calls it "native" support, so it's sort of on the line of definition.

PLUR

CK

Sounds like a killer rig.

What you need to do in BIOS is just set the FSB to 800 and there's a DDR600 option (or read the updated manual) so you can run an 800FSB and DDR600.

The 5400's are rated 4-4-4-12, but you can always play with it if you want to see if it'll go faster since you'll be underclocking them a little bit.

Good luck!

PLUR

CK

Archived