Corsair Community

BSOD and MEMTEST86 3.2 Errors = Bad Module

chimp

I purchased 2 1GB kits of Corsair Platinum Series TwinX1024-3200CS from zipzoomfly.com in August of 2003. Tech support there directed me here. My system was running famously until the last 3 weeks or so. I started to see quite a few Blue Screens of Death. Something I have never seen before with my system. I reformatted with WinXP SP2 figuring my problems would be fixed. This was not the case. I started to see BSOD's again. After ruling out video card, motherboard, hard drives and power issues, I took a look at my memory using memtest86 3.2. I noticed one of the modules generates several errors in tests 3, 6, and 8. Upon seeing those results, I removed the modules from my motherboard and tested them one by one in each of the four DIMM slots. 3 of the 4 passed memtest with out a problem when I ran it using a 12 hour loop. The 4th one generated all types of errors in memtest. So, I took the working pair of 2 modules, placed them back in my PC and the BSOD's disappeared. I haven't experienced one in 10 days when I used to have several a day. I can even use the other module that was paired with the bad module with either of the 2 in the good set and everything runs fine.

Can I simply replace one module of the TWINX kit, or do I have to send both modules back and receive 2 new modules. Any answers will be appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
In addition, many MB's may not be able to run with 4 modules unless they are all matched both in part# and revision. I would suggest you call our tech support and talk about your options. 888-222-4346 and choose option 3.

Archived