Corsair Community

About the H100i V2

Nirhahs

Im currently using h100i v2 but couldnt connect the usb since my mobo doesnt have any extra usb 2.0 header. If im not using the corsair link and only connected the cooler with cpu_fan, with the both fans connected to the fan spliiter of the h100i, do the fans running at full speed or will go up and down by itself by following the temperature of the cpu? (sorry for my bad english)

No, the fans will follow a pre-programmed speed curve in the pump's firmware. It will regulate the fan speed based on the coolant temperature inside the H100i v2, not CPU temperature. Coolant temperature is the better control variable compared to CPU temperature, however you won't have any way to manually control the fans. If you are in a relatively cool climate or have total control over your work space, this can be just fine. However, in warm climates you may find your fan speeds excessive when the room temperature goes above the standard 23C. In a cool 20C room, it would take a 20C rise in coolant temperature to reach the maximum speed. If your case temperature is already 32C before you apply any load, it becomes very easy to reach the 40C=100% fan speed target.

There are other ways to convert or create another USB 2 port for the cooler. This would give you full access to the Link controls as well as the H100i v2 LED lighting. This is a relatively common question and others have pursued this. Try searching for the Cooling forum for those threads. I have not done it, so I can't make a recommendation. You may also wish to add your motherboard model to your specifications. It is likely someone else has done this on the exact same mainboard.

The other alternative is move the fan connections from the pump block to your motherboard. You can then regulate the fan speed from CPU temperature. The fans will change speed more often than with Link control, but it is certainly a viable way to operate the unit.

No, the fans will follow a pre-programmed speed curve in the pump's firmware. It will regulate the fan speed based on the coolant temperature inside the H100i v2, not CPU temperature. Coolant temperature is the better control variable compared to CPU temperature, however you won't have any way to manually control the fans. If you are in a relatively cool climate or have total control over your work space, this can be just fine. However, in warm climates you may find your fan speeds excessive when the room temperature goes above the standard 23C. In a cool 20C room, it would take a 20C rise in coolant temperature to reach the maximum speed. If your case temperature is already 32C before you apply any load, it becomes very easy to reach the 40C=100% fan speed target.

There are other ways to convert or create another USB 2 port for the cooler. This would give you full access to the Link controls as well as the H100i v2 LED lighting. This is a relatively common question and others have pursued this. Try searching for the Cooling forum for those threads. I have not done it, so I can't make a recommendation. You may also wish to add your motherboard model to your specifications. It is likely someone else has done this on the exact same mainboard.

The other alternative is move the fan connections from the pump block to your motherboard. You can then regulate the fan speed from CPU temperature. The fans will change speed more often than with Link control, but it is certainly a viable way to operate the unit.

Thanks for the reply though, now the fans are connected to my mobo instead of the pump. Im using asus maximus viii impact. How about the pump? How does the speed of the pump? Is it changing based on the temperature or the speed remain the same?

It is likely the pump continues on at the Quiet mode 1950-2000 RPM setting. Perhaps it kicks into the higher Performance speed of 3000 RPM when it crosses some threshold. This can be difficult to monitor. Some cooler models will show fan speed (or a mathematical fraction of it) and other show a fractional pump speed. Again, not the actual number. Either way, it doesn't really matter unless you are trying to crush your system with a synthetic test load. You don't need to actively monitor or change pump speeds from a performance perspective. For most people, it is about noise and this variable pump speed motor is new the last generation of coolers. We all got on just fine before with a fixed pump speed.

It is likely the pump continues on at the Quiet mode 1950-2000 RPM setting. Perhaps it kicks into the higher Performance speed of 3000 RPM when it crosses some threshold. This can be difficult to monitor. Some cooler models will show fan speed (or a mathematical fraction of it) and other show a fractional pump speed. Again, not the actual number. Either way, it doesn't really matter unless you are trying to crush your system with a synthetic test load. You don't need to actively monitor or change pump speeds from a performance perspective. For most people, it is about noise and this variable pump speed motor is new the last generation of coolers. We all got on just fine before with a fixed pump speed.

Ive tried disable the cpu fan control on the bios. What I concern is the AI Suite, it still shows my cpu fan (the pump) is controllable. So what do I do?

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118371 which states:

Q: Corsair Link and ASUS AI Suite don’t seem to work together. What’s up with that?

A: Corsair Link and ASUS AI Suite frequently monitor the same devices in your system. Because of this, they can conflict with one another and cause the other to lock up or be unstable. Please exit out of AI Suite completely before using Corsair Link, and vice-versa.

Ive tried disable the cpu fan control on the bios. What I concern is the AI Suite, it still shows my cpu fan (the pump) is controllable. So what do I do?

Is the pump on CPU Fan? Or did you put the radiator fans on CPU & OPT?

1) Make sure you have disabled the fan controls for the pump header. That's "Full Speed" in the Q-Fan control box in the E-Z BIOS or disabled in the Advanced BIOS.

2) After double checking the BIOS setting, re-run the Fan Xpert "tuning" process on the desktop. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the program ignores the disabled setting. This generally does not happen when using the CPU Fan header, but commonly does when setting CHA_Fan headers set to Full Speed/Disabled.

Well im not using corsair link. Its not about conflict between the link and the ai suite.

Is the pump on CPU Fan? Or did you put the radiator fans on CPU & OPT?

1) Make sure you have disabled the fan controls for the pump header. That's "Full Speed" in the Q-Fan control box in the E-Z BIOS or disabled in the Advanced BIOS.

2) After double checking the BIOS setting, re-run the Fan Xpert "tuning" process on the desktop. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the program ignores the disabled setting. This generally does not happen when using the CPU Fan header, but commonly does when setting CHA_Fan headers set to Full Speed/Disabled.

Ive disable it on bios and rerun the tuning process. The cpu fan control in fan xpert turns grey scale. Is that fine? Now the pump speed shown 1300-1400rpm in fan xpert.

Ive disable it on bios and rerun the tuning process. The cpu fan control in fan xpert turns grey scale. Is that fine? Now the pump speed shown 1300-1400rpm in fan xpert.

Yes, that's what you want. The faded out 'grey scale' indicates the fan controls are disabled and anything you do in AI Suite/Fan Xpert will leave that header alone. The pump speed likely will never show the correct value without Link. A pump is different than a fan and the way in which those revolutions are counted in the BIOS is also different on this model. The actual number is not very important. Note any changes. I don't know if the pump will continue to change between the low and high speeds without Link. You would still see changes in speed in any monitoring program, but ultimately either speed setting should not matter to the 99% of users who are not trying to crush their system under continuous 24/7 load.

Yes, that's what you want. The faded out 'grey scale' indicates the fan controls are disabled and anything you do in AI Suite/Fan Xpert will leave that header alone. The pump speed likely will never show the correct value without Link. A pump is different than a fan and the way in which those revolutions are counted in the BIOS is also different on this model. The actual number is not very important. Note any changes. I don't know if the pump will continue to change between the low and high speeds without Link. You would still see changes in speed in any monitoring program, but ultimately either speed setting should not matter to the 99% of users who are not trying to crush their system under continuous 24/7 load.

Is it fine if I run the pump at 1400rpm (in ai suite) 2800rpm (in corsair link) all the time? Ive tried connect the pump using a usb direct cable and it shows 2800rpm for the performance mode in corsair link which is 1400rpm in ai suite for full speed setting. And how do I maintain the corsair led color on the pump after set it up on corsair link even the usb isnt connected?

Archived