Corsair Community

2 kits of CMU16GX4M2C3000C15 do not work on ASUS X99 Deluxe

works4me

bought 2 of said kits and cannot get them to work together , bios sees them and than fails to boot ( on any settings , xmp , auto , you name it ) and upon entering the bios again only 2 sticks are shown

tried several bios versions including the latest 3402 with the same results .

in windows when i finally manage to boot only 16gb are shown but cpu-z detects 4 sticks :bigeyes:

also XMP does not boot and i can only boot when i manually set ram speed to 2400 ( any higher fails to boot )

my cpu is a 5930K , please assist as i have 200$ worth of ram i cannot use

each stick works on it's own with xmp enabled and each kit ( 2 sticks ) work in xmp as well it's when i add them together that the "magic" starts to happen , stick in slot D1 suddenly disappeared , and it happened to other slots randomly ( only 3 sticks visible in bios and no boot beyond that point )

both kits are the same model and capacity

You generally are going to have to work harder to combine two different kits. The Asus System Agent voltage boost is a little excessive when on XMP at 3000+. That is likely something you will need to manually tune, along the normal timings and DRAM voltage. Also, sometimes things get difficult with 32GB at 3000+, particularly on HW-E. You didn't specify your CPU. The BW-E chips have an easier time with the larger memory sets.

Sorry, I missed it originally. I am not sure anyone from Corsair is going to offer specific advice, other than to always buy a matched kit of 4. The difficulty with combining two different kits is sometimes they plug in and play and other times they might be extremely difficult to match.

It is probably best to find out which scenario you are dealing with. A little tweaking isn't difficult, but a mixed set that is extremely difficult to set up is likely to always be a bit prickly. That has some long term implications for normal use. Make sure you make a system image of your C: drive before you start memory overclocking. There is a greater chance of corrupting the operating system compared to standard CPU overclocking.

Does the PC boot with all 4 sticks when set to the default 2133 MHz and all memory settings on Auto?

1) If yes, proceed to try a manual DRAM frequency of 2666 . Enter a DRAM voltage of 1.25v and use the 4 primary timings for the kit (15-17-17-35) into the first four slots of the DRAM Timing Control sub-menu (BIOS --> F7 to advanced BIOS --> AI Tweaker column, just under the CPU multiplier section.). The DRAM voltage is further down that same AI Tweaker menu. Also down there is system agent voltage. It is likely on Auto. Enter a manual offset of +0.15. Each CPU has a different value, but that should be enough at 2666 without adding the ridiculous 0.30v the board will add on its own. It will be helpful to know if it is having difficulty with the frequency at 3000 or something else.

I saw where you've tried up to 2400, but every board should be able to reach 2666 these days and if you can't, that would be an indicator you may want to do something else - see below.

2) If it won't boot 4 sticks at 2133, I would stop now and exchange the kit while you can, preferably for the 4x8GB matched LED kit (CMU32GX4M4C3000C15) or something else entirely.

There are other places to seek help as well. The Asus X99 thread at Overclock.net has about 1500 pages of this stuff. You can try posting their for help from other users who are all using this platform. Usual mixed bag of personalities, but several are quite good a memory overclocking. It is definitely not my favorite and memory difficulties make everyday use very taxing.

Archived