Corsair Community

CUE won't automatically switch profiles when outputting to two displays

Hutchie91

Hi, I've had my K70 RGB and Sabre since around April this year. Love them however unfortunately the weak link seems to be the CUE software, while most of my gripes with CUE are around the interface/ease of use, what I want to talk about is an actual problem with the software.

As the title suggests, whenever I'm using two displays, the automatic profile switching will not work and what I've also noticed, is that while in the CUE software, it won't display the actual lighting profile to indicate which lighting is going on on the interface however the lighting on the actual keyboard and mouse still work and update in real time (if that makes sense?).

How I have my profiles is this, I have a 'default' profile. This is just what I use for Windows basically, browsing the internet, doing uni work and watching movies etc etc and for this mode I will usually have some sort of fancy lighting profile on the keyboard. Then I have profiles for each game I play, main use for the profiles isn't for the lighting, but for the mouse bindings. Because a lot of games won't register the extra buttons on my mouse, I have to use CUE to assign that mouse button to a key stroke that relates to that binding (for example Skyrim, I will make MB5 activate an M keystroke on the keyboard which will bring up the map as in-game the map is binded to the M key) and then I will usually turn off the fancy lighting on the keyboard and just make all the colours the same as the RGB lighting on my desk and graphics card.

Now, here's my setup with my monitors. Luckily, I don't game with two monitors, so this problem doesn't effect gameplay too much but it's just tedious the way I have to deactivate my second screen everytime I want to play a game.

I just have a pretty cheap and simple £100 Acer 22" 60Hz 1080p as my main display for gaming and then I also have a average 32" 720p Samsung TV connected as an extended display that I will use for extra real estate when working on my DAW or Catia V5 software or to drag a Firefox window onto so I can chill in bed watching some Youtube before I go to sleep. Like I say, it's not completely game breaking, but it would be nice to have that second monitor on without affecting anything and not having to go into Nvidia Control Panel and disable the second monitor everytime I want to play a game and need my mouse profile.

I'm running on the latest Nvidia driver (376.09), CUE version 1.16.42, K70 RGB firmware version 2.05 and 2.04 for the Sabre.

The weird thing is that I've never had this problem before. I've only noticed this happening around a month ago maybe? So I'm guessing it has something to do with one of the CUE software updates?

It works just fine for me and I use 2 monitors too. However there is one instance when automatic switch won't work. Apart from games, if you have any kind of other program fullscreen (even Media Player Classic or VLC fullscreen for example) the automatic profile switch may stop working until the fullscreen application is closed (or not fullscreen anymore).

I have the same effect with other programs as well that "hijack" the screen and seem like the run in fullscreen mode, an example is JING (a program to take screenshots/video). When I have that program open the automatic switch stops working. I reported the bug but they said this is a result of how windows handles certain things.

Have you started using any new program in the last month that might cause it?

It works just fine for me and I use 2 monitors too. However there is one instance when automatic switch won't work. Apart from games, if you have any kind of other program fullscreen (even Media Player Classic or VLC fullscreen for example) the automatic profile switch may stop working until the fullscreen application is closed (or not fullscreen anymore).

I have the same effect with other programs as well that "hijack" the screen and seem like the run in fullscreen mode, an example is JING (a program to take screenshots/video). When I have that program open the automatic switch stops working. I reported the bug but they said this is a result of how windows handles certain things.

Have you started using any new program in the last month that might cause it?

Well other than games, the only two programmes I've installed on my PC this past two months is Diesel RK and Catia V5, one is a engine simulation package and the other is a engineering CAD package so obviously I don't have them running when I'm gaming. I've always used MPC and VLC, MPC being my main player for movies but like I say, I've had those programmes on my PC since day one before using CUE and I never had problems with this until the past month.

My only explanation is because the second display is acting as an extended desktop, CUE thinks I'm still on the desktop/on Windows and therefore isn't switching the profile to the game I'm on even though the game isn't minimised?

The only other programs I can think of is either Steam, Origin, uPlay, MSI Afterburner or the RealTek Audio Manager is those are the only programmes running in my tray but again they are all minimised. And I don't always use Afterburner's OSD, obviously I have the program running all the time for my overclock, but I only bring up the OSD when I'm launching a new title to doublecheck performance, the OSD isn't a 24/7 thing for me while gaming.

Have you tried updating to the latest CUE build? 2.6.7. CUE 1 is no longer being supported.

Wow, every time I would click on update it would always tell me that I was running the latest version. Thanks for that, maybe this will solve the problem. If I update will I lose any of my profiles?

• Corsair Employees
This is a known issue and is very difficult to fix. The problem is that when you're using dual screens, Windows has a very hard time recognizing what technically is in the foreground. The way CUE works is that when an application is active via Windows, that will trigger the profile switch. However, we've found through investigation that when there are two monitors (and its even more prevalent when monitors are separate resolutions), Windows sometimes will get confused over which is active and hence CUE responds accordingly. It's something we've been working on to resolve but ultimately, its going to be based on the actions of the OS.

This is a known issue and is very difficult to fix. The problem is that when you're using dual screens, Windows has a very hard time recognizing what technically is in the foreground. The way CUE works is that when an application is active via Windows, that will trigger the profile switch. However, we've found through investigation that when there are two monitors (and its even more prevalent when monitors are separate resolutions), Windows sometimes will get confused over which is active and hence CUE responds accordingly. It's something we've been working on to resolve but ultimately, its going to be based on the actions of the OS.

Thank you for the reply, and yeah it's what I assumed was going on. It's just strange that it only showed up recently this past month, despite using the software since around May I think and always being on Windows 10. Anyways, after updating to CUE 2, it seems that the issue has been fixed so everything is all good. Although, I'm not a big fan of CUE 2 and it's annoying I've lost all my profiles but at least the issue I was having has been resolved.

Archived