Corsair Community

Corsair XMS 512 memory failure

Caeberos

Recently my computer has lost all stability when I turn it on. I am using a stick of CMX512-3200C2 (not sure what other numbers you would need).

I can't manage to get the computer to stay on long enough to run any memory tests or stability tests. The memory fails the tests in bios and I am assuming that is a bad sign.

System:

Abit NF7-S rev.2

AMD Athlon XP 2000+

Help....

-Cae

After chaning the memory speed and increasing the voltage the system has regained a moderate degree of stability though it crawls. even after the changes it still fails the bios ram test

I have been running mem test for about 4 hours at this point and it is 75% done with the 10th pass, I was under the impression it was supposed to take far longer than it has to get that far. I am not sure what failing mem-test looks like, but the computer is constantly spitting out errors and now it is at around 275,000. Where should I go from here?

-Cae

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you install the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&3 and also have the latest BIOS installed for your MB, load Setup/optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

Softmenu Setup

CPU Freq: 166

DRAM Clock: 333

CPU/Memory ratio: 1:1

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I am not sure that reply was directed towards me... I don't have paired ram, and yea.... I used the ram defaults with CAS Latency and things, (by spd) and I ran throught mem test 10 times, I will do it again with these settings though.

I was also running Fail Safe defaults while running the tests minus what you told me to change, e.g. ram voltage (2.7)

Archived