Corsair Community

Can't boot w/2 RAM chips on Asus A8V

Pier777

Hello,

I am unable to boot my computer and get the "System Failed Due to CPU overclocking" error message when I have 2 CMX512-3200XL RAM chips (512 x 2) put in. This happens in any configuration of the RAM except when I put both on the last two slots (3,4) in which it only recognizes one of them. A SINGLE Ram chip on Slot 3 works fine.

I have looked through other posts of the many people with similar problems. However, none of the solutions has worked for me (ie. PUtting it on slot 2,4, changing the voltage to 2.7, etc.). Each chip works fine seperately when placed in slot 3. I even limited these 400mhz to act like 333mhz in bios with no change in result. Just in an act of desperation I put in my old PC2100 chips into slots 1,3 and the computer boots up fine.

I have BIOS version 1009.007.

This is very fustrating for me, as this is the first time I've put together a 'higher' spec system :).

Any help would be very appreciated!

• Corsair Employees

Please install the modules in slots 2-4 and then go to bios setup and load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the following timings:

CAS Latency CL=2.0

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 5

Row Precharge Time tRP 2

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again!

No dice.

The system still doesn't boot up with those BIOS settings. I've placed the chips on 1,3 as well as 2,4 and there is no change in the "System failed due to CPU overclocking". Yesterday I went to a friend's house who has the same motherboard, the memory also didn't work on his. He said I should tell you the following:

"well tell him you tried on a second a8v that was working and it had the same problem when using those chips dual channel. No bios or boot configuration even setting every single setting to its slowest manual over-ride would make the system boot. It would seem to be a bios incompatability because it is *NOT* taking the manual settings well, it always seems to over-ride them no matter what you do."

We also ran a memtest on the chips and they turned out fine.

:bigeyes:

I realize you've already tried many settings, but I thought maybe you will get lucky with these settings. AMD processors need 2.5 CL. Instead of 2.0.

That's not correct. The C2 sticks are Cas 2.0 on Intel, 2.5 on AMD because of the ICs. The CPUs themselves don't have a Cas issue at all.

Maybe I mis-read something Wired?

On his signature his system specs he has listed that he has and Athlon processor.

So the settings that RAM Guy posted were with CAS Latency (CL) [2.0]

Which it should be 2.5 for the AMD processor shouldn't it?

I think perhaps you do not get the information listed blow the signature if you are using the email notification and reply. I can't imagine how you guys could do it any other way, I can only imagine how much email you get in the course of 24 hours.

That's not correct. The C2 sticks are Cas 2.0 on Intel, 2.5 on AMD because of the ICs. The CPUs themselves don't have a Cas issue at all.

Re-read that. Only the C2s have the different CAS for the different platforms due to the ICs used. None of the other memory Corsair makes has that issue.

I can't imagine how you guys could do it any other way, I can only imagine how much email you get in the course of 24 hours.

Heh, I actually get only 1 - 6 or so email notifications a day. I get them whenever someone starts a new post in certain sub-forums, as those are ones I am listed as a "moderator", because I was a moderator of them before I became an admin (those sub-forums are listed in my sig, and yes, not all of them exist anymore). I also get the notifications whenever certain threads that I've subscribed to are replied to (98 threads ATM). I don't go by those at all actually. I just hit "New Posts" and open a new page for each of the pages on the list (25 posts per page, so usually 4-8 pages total). I do this because by the time I read x amount of posts and try to open up another page on the list, the page may have expired, being dynamic and all. Once all of the "New Posts" pages are open, I start opening up new pages, one per post, starting from the oldest to the newest.

Yes, it takes a while :) Used to be able to hover the forums I moderate (HoH, HoM, WDF) at work, but I can't do that anymore :( Hovering like that totally rocked lol, kept me busy when bored and kept the response time to like minutes :)

Hey y'all, just as a followup to let you know what's going on.

I took my memory to another friend who has an Asus Slot A motherboard (7A something or A7.. whatever) and the memory worked like a charm there. Which is unfortunate cuz if it were a problem with the RAM that would be easiest to fix! So it's most likely that's not the problem (I doubted that they were faulty anyway, just a hope, I guess). Maybe it is just some weirdo compatibility problem with this particular CPU-Mobo-Ram setup, or something slightly faulty with the mobo/cpu or.. GRrrrr..

Anyway, I ordered some other ram from another company just to see if that works. If it does, great, and I can sell the TwinXs to a friend of mine that they worked for. If not, I know that I have to boot this stupid mobo back and get an ABIT or something (I really hope it isn't the cpu, does anyone know if a CPU could cause such a problem or is that soley a RAM+Mobo issue?).

Thanks for listening and the help you've given!

Well, I have an Antec 400W psu, and I've placed the modules at A1 and B1 (slots 1,3 with 1 being the one closest to the cpu). A little interesting story, I've received the RAM from Crucial y'day and put them in. Whoa and behold it worked flawlessly. Must just be some strange reaction between the Corsairs in my current setup.

That being said, even though these buggers work, I'm still sending the whole mobo/cpu back because I'm pissed, and also I looked up the CPU. The 3400+ are never meant to be for slot 939 boards, they are slot 754 chips that seemed to have been jimmied into a 939.. prolly for an OEM marketing thing. Well that opens up a lot of doors for trouble, I think, and whether or not this had any effect on my RAM problems, I'm still not comfortable with it. Back it goes!

Are you sure you are talking about the ASUS A8V and not the Abit AV8? On slots 2,4 the computer won't even boot up. A single stick of ram on slots 1, 2, or even 4 won't work either. Only on slot 3 (B1) would this stick work. And any combination with the Corsairs as 2 chips on the board won't work as well (as per my first message).

As for the PSU, it is one of the new ones that has every plug imaginable, and it is plugged correctly on the main power input on the board, as well as the smaller power input on the upper left of it.

• Corsair Employees
Yes slots 2-4 for ASUS A8V and slots 3-4 for ABIT AV8. If the system will not post with the modules in slots 3-4 I would suspect some other problem. Also I would suggest you set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and you might try and clear the bios when you move them. And slot one would be closest to the CPU.

Per the A8V Manual:

Single Channel: DIMM_B1

Dual Channel:

1) identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (these are the blue ones)

2) all 4

I've got the 3400+ and A8V as well (tigerdirect special) and yes, the 3400 is OEM only, nothing about it being originally 754 though. Works Dual Channel with my TwinX1024-3500C2s just fine.

Yes, which translates to slots (1,3). From what I read in other forums, however, they claim that the manual is wrong when it comes to that, although my other friend with an A8V also can only post on the slots per the manual's instructions.

As for the slot 754/939 thing, they certainly wouldn't tell you that it was more or less a 754 before. But if you go onto the AMD site to see their cpus, they have no such thing as a 939 3400+, only for 754. PLUS, it does run at 1600 (800 MT/s) which is what 754 chips have while the 939s runs at 2000 (1000 MT/s).

Kinda looks suspicious, no? ;)

In no way, however, am I saying that someone (certainly not tigerdirect) tried to pull the wool over people's eyes and trick them into buying the cpu. I'm just saying that these chips seem more of a hybrid kind of thing, with obvious 939 components (to fit in the board in the first place) as well as 754 components.

Per the A8V Manual:

Single Channel: DIMM_B1

Dual Channel:

1) identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (these are the blue ones)

2) all 4

I've got the 3400+ and A8V as well (tigerdirect special) and yes, the 3400 is OEM only, nothing about it being originally 754 though. Works Dual Channel with my TwinX1024-3500C2s just fine.

It's an OEM only chip, hence why it's not on the main AMD site. Check AMD's forums (search for tiger direct) and you'll find lots of info about this.

IIRC, mine says 1000 not 800 though... Not OC'd or anything. Never got around to finding out why it says that or to verify it with other utilities as of yet.

Archived