Corsair Community

TWINX CMX512-3200C2PT - 1 of 2 Bad

jwsisme

Hi,

I purchased a matched set of TWINX CMX512-3200C2PT about a year ago for my Asus A7N8X. I was running a AMD XP2600 @ 333, but recently upgraded to a XP3200 @400. Right away applications started to crash. I removed one stick of ram and it still crashed, I tried the other stick and the system is stable once again. Need Help!

Thanks,

James

Hi,

The board is the 2.0 version, last night I updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Also I checked the FSB jumper and it is set properly.

After reading your first reply I swapped the ram to sockets 2 and 3 from 1 and 3. The issues continued.

I ran the memtest.org memory tester with both sticks and just one at a time.

With both sticks I get errors on tests 3,4,5,6,7. With one stick I get errors on test 3,5,6,7. The other stick gets errors on tests 5,6,7. Some of the tests report hundreds of errors, some have a 1000+ errors.

I checked the BIOS and it is set to optimal, not aggressive, or user. The BIOS reports the CPU speed correctly. The BIOS shows the ram set to: 2.5-3-3-8

Thanks,

James

• Corsair Employees

James,

Getting errors with both modules like that would suggest some other problem. Can you test the modules in another system? Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I have everything set to the proper settings. I'm not sure what you're looking for. The CPU is detected properly, and I haven't done any tweaks to it.

The RAM is currently set to optimal which results in the same settings as setting by SPD. As a PC tech myself, I recognize that the RAM isn't functioning properly. This issue is most likely either bad RAM or bad motherboard.

I'll see if I can use the RAM tester at work, or if my co-worker will test it with his board. One stick has more problems then the other, and so I'll test that one.

Thanks,

James

• Corsair Employees

Please put the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&3; make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB and that you change the FSB jumper setting from the default 1-2 to 2-3, load optimized/set up default and set the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200C2

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived