Corsair Community

2 x TwinX 1024 PC3200 LL

niavasha

Hi, I've got : Two x TwinX 1024 PC3200 LL Gigabyte 8KNXP Intel P4 2.8 HT Antec TruePower 550w If I run all 4 (2gb) dimms installed, XP occasionally crashes when under duress, Hot CPU Tester Pro reports Qsort fail, and L1 Cache fail, and Prime 95 fails during the first test of the stress testing. If I install any 2 then the problems appear to go away. (tried 1+3, and slots 2+4) If I install any three of them then the problems also appear to go away. However if I install all 4 at the same time, in any combination then I get problems. I've spoken with the supplier of my MB and CPU and they've also seen similar problems when running all 4 dimms of this type of memory, with any type of mother board (I think they mentioned Asus, Abit, and a couple of others). They haven't found a solution yet. I also spoke with the company i bought the RAM from, and they suggested increasing the DIMM Voltage a bit, by 0.1v, and then by 0.2v, while keeping an eye on the temperature. This initially showed encouraging results, i.e. prime95 went onto test 4, but then it failed. Then rerunning prime95, it failed on the first test :( I've tested with memtest86, and it found two errors in phase 5 of testing, at .6 and .7mb, so i'm now going to retest, swap the stick to another place and see if it changes or remains the same. Any other ideas ? :) Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T And I would set the DDR Voltage to 2.7X volts and Disable USB legacy support as well, If it's listed in your bios. Ram Guy

Hi RAM Guy, I tried the recommended settings, however they haven't made a difference, it's still failing :( One thing to note is that my DDR voltage is static at 2.5v There is a DIMM overvoltage setting, whereby I can increment it via 0.1v, 0.2v, 0.3v, however I also tried setting this to 0.2v, and it seems to fail even faster. :( I ran memcheck86 the other day again, and got absolutely no errors. So.... what do you think ? Many many Thanks. Cheers. nia

• Corsair Employees
What operating system are you using? And you might try it with just 2 modules and see if it’s stable. But if it will pass [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] but not stable in Win2k or XP then there has to be some other problem. Ram Guy

Hi, I'm running XP Pro sp1a. One thing that's been brought to my attention is counting the amount of current the components require in the system. I've got a lot of seperate components, and maybe the current requirement is more than the psu can provide. How much current does the TwinX 1024 PC3200LL dimms require? Thanks again. nia.

hi ram guy, i think i've made a bit more progress, adjusting some of the BIOS settings i've reduced the stability problems. :D Sometimes I seem to be able to run prime95 with absolutely no errors, and maybe if a reboot a couple of times, i may come up with an error, however, it's definitely better. Here's what i've set: CAS : 2.5 RAS to CAS : 3 RAS Precharge : 3 Active to Precharge : 6 DIMM Overvoltage : 0.1v (i.e. 2.6v DDR) And prehaps most obscurely: AGP Overvoltage : 0.1v Changing this back to the standard seems to decrease the stability. Any comments on the above ? Cheers nia.

• Corsair Employees
You might try setting the timings to Cass 2.5-4-4-8 and do you have the power module installed? If so please try the system with out it! I would also suggest testing the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com.[/url] Ram Guy

• 4 weeks later...
sorry for the late reply! Been on holiday for a while and blah blah.. anyway.. came back from holiday, turned the pc on, and used it for 20 mins, experienced a complete hang. rebooted, went into xp, 20 seconds later, complete hang. rebooted again. nothing came up. turned out the motherboard was faulty..... got a replacement motherboard........ put everything back together... ran prime95 for 16 hours, NO ERRORS :sillygrin Nice one. Thanks very much for your time, looks like the mb had an inherent fault, and seemed be even more apparent when 4 dimms where present. Cheers! nia.

Archived