Corsair Community

H80i v2 extrem loud

Outsch

Hi all together. I've a big problem. I just switched from my normal cpu cooler to a H80i v2. But now after installation it is extrem loud. even in quite mode the rpm always climbs up to 2000-2500 rpm and gets very loud for a couple of seconds and then it goes down again to 1500rpm for a couple of seconds.

I don't know why and what can i do. Can anyone please give me tips what is going wrong here?

My old cooler had about 800rpm and was really silent. I thought this is a good system but currently it doesn't seem so. Yes, the cpu (i7 4930k) is quite cool about 32-38°C but it seems to be independent of the rpm speed. The pump speed is always about 1920rpm and the temp of the h80i v2 about 41°C

Also in silent mode with 1500rpm the the current loudyness is the maximum what i expect at performance mode :(

pls help

thx

First, make sure your radiator fan(s) are set to the 'H80i Temp group' in the configuration panel. You may also be able to get there by right-clicking the fan dial. H80i Temp group is the coolant/water temperature inside the unit. Using package temp can lead to unwanted and unnecessary fan speed changes.

However, if your H80i Temp is the 41C noted above, then the fans are following the pre-programmed curves and the next question should be why is your coolant temp so high.

1) When was that 41C reading taken? Is that at idle? After a stress test?

2) What is the approximate room temperature during this? Room temp will always be the baseline starting coolant temp, so if you are in a hot room, you will need to make your own fan curve and not use the default options.

3) Where is the H80i v2 mounted? Is set as intake or exhaust? Most people use it as rear exhaust and this is fine, however it will be influenced by GPU heat in this position. This can affect the water temperature during high GPU loads.

You haven't listed any of your other components and we don't know your case, GPU, or if some motherboard software is having an influence on the reading. It would be unusual to have a coolant temperature notably above your average core temperatures.

Hello,

thanks for the quick answer.

With configuration panel you mean in the configuration of the corsair link software. But there i can only take a look and configure alerts nothing else?

1) The 41C are in idle mode. Wasn't able to get the cpu in stress mode...

2) The room temperature is about 23°C

3) It is inside mounted. Above the gpu where the fans of the gpu look away from the cpu (they look downside)

The other components in the pc: ASUS P9X79LE Mainboard. Intel Core i7 4930k, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, Nvidia GeForce GTX760.

I am concerned the coolant temperature is 18C above the room temperature at idle. That is about where it should peak under maximum extended load. There are other contributing factors that might partially explain the high water temperature. These include things like a restrictive filter, dust covered radiator, abnormal case layout, or inappropriate fan configurations. Since this is a new unit and from what I can tell from the above, none of these apply. This likely means the unit has some sort of flow problem, either mechanical or a flow restriction.

I would contact Corsair directly through the RMA Technical Support site. This is different from the user forums and you will need to create a new user name and password, if you don't already have one. See what they say. Also, check out the terms of exchange/return with the vendor you bought from. Corsair will certainly handle the issue, but depending on where you are in the world you may get a quicker turn around from the vendor.

Also, within Link, set the pump to performance mode. This should make little difference at idle on a normal unit, but if the flow is partially blocked, it may help some. Avoid or be very careful with unsupervised load. If this is a flow restriction, that coolant temp is going to go up very quickly. You could test this to confirm, but use a very mild stress test like Intel XTU that has a smooth wave like loading pattern. The only other thing that might account for this would be if you are running a very high voltage overclock on the 4930K with a fixed/manual voltage. However, the idle temps would have been the same or worse with the air tower and so I suspect this is not the case.

Again Thank you very much.

I found finally how to set the pump to performance mode and the fans to silent mode. now the rpm of the fan dropt to about 1450rpm and the pump increased to 2880rpm. I hear the pump now (of course) but the fans are much more silent. Currently the temp of the Water is also about 36.2°c.

I also found where to set the fan not only on quite mode but also to the group of the "h80i v2 Temp". It was CPU Package before.

I have had a bequite cpu cooler before worked very well and really silent, but after 2 years it bend (oh yes didn't know that could happen somehow) and blocked the case cooler of the back. I didn't find any appropiate cooler with max height of 13cm so i took this one.

Just to ensure everything else is really ok i want to check everything else to. The two fans (before and after the radiator) has to blow into the case or need to blow out of the case? Mine are applied like at this picture and blow into: http://www.corsair.com/en/~/media/B2278912A6B342FE80D50F458953C6B8.ashx?w=600

Most people set their rear slot radiator fan(s) to remove air from the case. The fan will blow air from the "pretty side" with the branding to the less attractive "label" side with the specifications sticker and the directional air flow vanes. This is opposite your standard house fan and throws people off at first. You could theoretically do it either way, however cases with strong GPU loads may be adversely affected by using it as intake. You would also need to blast you top fans to help exhaust both the CPU and GPU waste heat. I would need to know your case model and what kind of fans you have up top to make a specific recommendation. However, if you have the option to exhaust heat directly out of your case, normally you do it. If you have no top fans or a restricted space, you absolutely want to exhaust the CPU waste heat out.

Archived