Corsair Community

H115i radiator orientation

an3k

Hi everybody,

I finally got my first watercooling stuff and I'm confused. I saw many but different answers. I hope you can help me.

I have the Obsidian 750D and the H115i. Because I want to make use of the dust filter at the front of that chassis I want to mount the radiator at the front too. I have to mount the radiator with the hose connections at the top (otherwise I cannot reach the CPU). Is that a problem for the pump (too much workload / air bubbles) or can I mount the radiator in any direction and orientation I can think of?

Thank you very for your help!

It should not matter whether the hoses are at the top or bottom. If the pump flow was insufficient to overcome gravity, the pump would not work at all. You can mount it with the hoses up top.

However, using the dust filter in combination with the radiator is going to create a lot of resistance for the fans to overcome. You are going to have a hard time moving air through at low fan speeds. This can be remedied by increasing the fan speed, but know going in you will likely need to run your fans at moderate or better speeds some of the time. This is even more true if your front panel is your only source of intake air. At idle and desktop application loads, it won't matter how slow the fans turn. You probably will need the speed for moderate or better loads like gaming.

Thank you very much. I decided to put the H115i to the top (being the highest point in the cycle) and to push out. The H55 of the GFX is on the back, also pushing out and also the highest point in the cycle. Then I kept the two stock fans that came with the chassis and use them as intakes on the front.

The system stays very cool even under load. Very nice!

Thank you very much. I decided to put the H115i to the top (being the highest point in the cycle) and to push out. The H55 of the GFX is on the back, also pushing out and also the highest point in the cycle. Then I kept the two stock fans that came with the chassis and use them as intakes on the front.

The system stays very cool even under load. Very nice!

I'm looking to purchase a 750D, H115i, and a MSI Seahawk 1080 X for my next build and I was very curious about how to orient the H115i and the rad/fan for the GPU in the setup like you are describing. Would it be possible for you to upload a pic of your build so I can kind of see what I'll be working with?

Thanks!

Archived