Corsair Community

H110i Troubleshooting

SaggyBottoms

After a few days of normal use my new build is having a problem. Upon restart the radiator fans have been running full speed and reacting to any mouse movement or additional processes. The led's on the unit itself had gone back to the color green. Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated as I start troubleshooting, and reading up on the issue.

I have so far tried:

Reflashed and updated the bios on the mobo(z 170s)

Reinstalled the Link software

Checked the 3pin(1 pin) lead plugged into the cpu_fan header

Changed the setting to full speed in Q fan control from standard

Take a look at the H110i Temp at the bottom of the Home screen in Link. At idle, that value should be 4-6C over your room temperature. If it is substantially more than that when not at or after a load, it suggests some type of problem with the water flow inside the cooler.

Also, make sure your fans are linked to the H110i Temp Group (coolant temperature) in the configuration panel. Generally, you do not want them to react to CPU Package temperature.

The pre-defined fan curves were developed for water/coolant temperature and have a relative small range of 22-40C from min to max. Substituting CPU package temp in its place cause near maximal fan speeds at idle and anytime you get above 40C. That was not what was intended. You could develop your own custom curve for CPU temp, but that's not really what the fans do in the system. Water temperature is a much better control variable and is considerably less dynamic than CPU temps. The fans will only need to change speed when the coolant temp changes. This is the role the fans play -- help remove heat from the water.

Unfortunately, that really isn't clear from anything in the packaging and most people without prior experience will have no idea what the H110i/H100i/H80i/H115i Temp number means. Glad it was a simple fix.

Archived