Corsair Community

How many PCi Express Cables Should I use?

Beenbag

Just purchased a new Corsair AX860. I was wondering if it makes any difference on this PSU with regarding the PCI graphic card cables. I have an AMD R9-390 GPU which has an 8 + 6 pin sockets.

Can I use just one cable from the PSU that has both the 8+6 to the GPU or should I use two separate cables from the PSU, thereby using two PCI slots on the PSU?

I don't think my question isn't being fully understood. I've been to the Overclockers forum and the truth is it would seem, there is no definitive answer. Maybe on multi-rail PSUs it would help to distribute the load but on mine such as the AX860 which is a Single Rail then one single PCI cable with the 6+8 pin at one end for my GPU which has the 8+6 pin sockets would suffice but there is nothing that says I cannot use two PCI cables using the 8 pin from one and the 6 pin from the second cable if I so wish.

Again you need to use two totally different cables as one cannot supply enough current.

The limit is actually not the wire, but is the pins.

If you are going to quote some other forum then specify the URL so we can read what it actually specifies.

Archived