Corsair Community

Not compatible with my system

Dantheman

Rushed out to get the "Corsair LED" to speed & spiffy up my machine, only to reboot for what seemed to be a thousand times trying desperately get the new gig of Ram to work!

Corsair Pro Series xtreme memory speed (dual 512)

CMX512-3200C2PRO xms3202v4.1

0448065-1

CL2

The first time I booted up it seemed to be fine, I loaded DoomIII and it was very laggy, stuttery and crash. After that it would not boot past the windows loading screen.

I tried everything this last two frustrating days, only to find that putting in my old memory is the only choice that works.

Here is my rig:

AMD Barton 2500+ 1.8GB running at 166MHz

XP-Pro SP2

MSI K7N2 Delta Series w/ dual channel

go here to see my specific board specs: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=393

If you have a fix let me know. Funny thing is my friend at work has similar Corsair in the same exact Motherboard with no problems.

Not sure where I could have gone wrong. I even brought my machine in to him to give him a whack at it. He has his MCSE as we subcontract for Microsoft.

Is the memory @ 200 Mhz or 166 Mhz?

FYI to all, MCSE does not equal hardware experience. I've talked to a couple over the years, and some don't even know what memory is, or how to format! Going for it myself, and none of it covers HW diags, just a note to all.

• 2 months later...

FYI to all, MCSE does not equal hardware experience. I've talked to a couple over the years, and some don't even know what memory is, or how to format! Going for it myself, and none of it covers HW diags, just a note to all.

200MHz

BTW, I contacted MSI about this issue, they seem to know about it and emailed me a "beta" bios for my mother board & corsair. Ask MSI support for bios w6570nms.591

I'll repost here if it works. Wish me luck, I am about to flash bios AAAHHHHH!! MY ULSER!!!!

Ahh, he has his A++ too.

200MHz

BTW, I contacted MSI about this issue, they seem to know about it and emailed me a "beta" bios for my mother board & corsair. Ask MSI support for bios w6570nms.591

I'll repost here if it works. Wish me luck, I am about to flash bios AAAHHHHH!! MY ULSER!!!!

Well, I successfully flashed bios, not any change. I should bring you up to speed on events. This is my 2nd K7N2 Delta-L, the other one fried and I RMA'd. Antec Neo also blew a capacitor. All my vendors are pointing the finger at each other, telling me to run this test and do this setting and that, nothing is changing the random reboots with Corsair memory. I was able to make it work with a AMD 2500+ through *EXACT bios settings, but then I had to get ambitious and upgrade my CPU to AMD 3200+, now the old problems are back only no setting, no new "beta" bios, no new driver from ATI etc, etc, etc is stopping the random reboots.

I get various errors, the most prominant is "the instruction at "0x2418bfd5" referenced memory at "0x00bc9530" the memory could not be read.

I am only able to run the corsair dual set in single channel. Dual channel is where the random reboots begin. And only at default settings, not the 2.5 3 3 6.

PS,

How are you supposed to run a true test with mem test with only one stick of ram in (as suggested by ramguy) if 2.7v is a setting for dual channel? After reading up I understand that single channel should be at 3.0v.? and one stick of ram means single channel.

My rig,

K7N2 MS-6570 Delta-L Bios v. 5.9

AMD 3200+ 2.2GHz

Corsair 512 400 TWINX1024-3200C2PRO running at 200MHz (using mem guy settings in dual channel and any and all other I could try DO NOT WORK.)

ATI X800 Pro AGP *Fresh driver install

Antec Neo 480 *new

Western Digital WD1200JB 120G

Slaved Maxtor 7200 RPM 60G

XP PRO SP2 *Fresh install

How are you supposed to run a true test with mem test with only one stick of ram in (as suggested by ramguy) if 2.7v is a setting for dual channel? After reading up I understand that single channel should be at 3.0v.? and one stick of ram means single channel.

HUH????? Dunno where you're getting that info, but it's wrong.

Logic would support that MORE sticks may need more voltage, not the other way arround. All Corsair memory is warrantied up to, but not over, 2.9 volts. The 2.7x recommendation is not for a particular # of sticks involved.

One stick of memory is definitely single channel, but 2 sticks can also be in single channel mode depending on how the sticks are placed on the motherboard.

It's recommended to test one stick at a time in each slot to make sure it isn't a slot problem.

:(:

Ok so I think I finally have it figured out. After reading everything I could in the manual I found this under MEMORY: "Please note that the system can only support up to DDR333 with internal graphics core"

Now, I am speculating that would refer to my ATI X800 Pro which has it's own "Graphics core". Please tell me if I am wrong here.

:mad:

-------------

Archived