Corsair Community

Bad TWINX1024-3200XL

In December 2004 we received two sticks of TWINX1024-3200XL to replace some bad TWINX1024-3200LL on RMA #R66254. We appreciate the fast turn around on the shipment of the replacement sticks.

After installing the new memory, we successfully installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and began to configure server roles. We experienced errors in having other servers join this server domain, and during our efforts to diagnose a possible DNS (i.e., software, not hardware) problem, we experienced the dreaded blue screen error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL."

Since we had only recently been through this with the old TWINX memory, we ran MemTest86 overnight and generated 69,321 errors in 44 passes. We then removed one stick and ran MemText86 and encountered no errors. Switching the sticks, we again ran MemTest86 and encountered many errors.

We considered whether this might be a motherboard issue, and again (as we did last time) ran Intel's comprehensive BYO Platform Confidence Test and found no errors. Additionally, we noted that with the original memory (in November) the errors appeared in the stick in DIMM 1A socket, and in the current case the errors appeared in the stick in DIMM 1B socket. Thus, it the problem is evidently not associated with a specific motherboard socket.

Since we had just been through the RMA process in December, we have already updated the motherboard BIOS to the most recent version (v. 17) and confirmed that the board is operating at default Intel settings.

Just to be sure, I have confirmed that your site recommends the TWINX1024-3200XL as a compatible (low latency) solution for our motherboard. However, I also noted that Corsair is not listed as a tested memory product on Intel's list of tested & qualified memory. Can you offer assurance that the modules Corsair recommends are stable and compatible with this server board?

Request another RMA to replace this XL memory.

Thanks,

John

To be clear, the system is:

- Intel Entry Server Board S875WP1-E

- P4 2.8g

- Video is on-board graphics

- Hard drive is SATA with onboard controller; no RAID

- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

- running at factory defaults

We originally purchased TWINX1024-512LL. With the RMA in December, you replaced it with TWINX1024-512XL which has both lower latencies and a lower price. We have two workstations running TWINX1024-512LL, and we may end up switching to different memory in the server in hopes of gaining greater reliability.

- In the event we move the XL memory to one of the workstations, can it run compatibly with LL in the same system?

- If not, can you replace this memory with LL; the stuff we originally purchased last April?

Thanks....

• Corsair Employees
I would have to say probably not, as Intel MB's do not give you all of the options in the bios that you would need to run these modules. In addition, the minimum suggested Dim Voltage for XMS3200XL would be 2.75 Volts as well. If you send your modules in for an RMA I would suggest you request Twinx1024-3200 or CMX512-3200 as a replacement with this MB.

Archived