Corsair Community

780t case fans

Starsky73

hi all,is there anyway of controling the front two case fans from starting up on full power its alittle annoying having to turn them down every time i boot the pc up,i use ai suite 3 to control my other fans but the software does not seem to detect the front two case fans.

any help would be much appreciated thanks....

It is unlikely you will be able to prevent the "fan test" on boot and wake. Control devices must supply sufficient voltage to start the fan's motion and this often is a higher value than the minimum needed to sustain revolution. It's not too uncommon to see a DC fan with a 9 volt starting value. As a result, most control devices provide a near maximal 12v for a few second on boot/wake to ensure the fan spins up. You can't really get around that, although PWM fans are sometimes spared the full blast since they always receive a 12v signal. Still, whether it blasts on power on is very controller specific.

You haven't what type of fans are being controlled. If the fans are indeed connected to the motherboard, it may not make a difference. I assume your board is the Asus Gen. 1 X99-E. On my Asus X99-PRO, only the CPU/OPT headers are able to tone it down when a PWM fan is connected. The other CHA headers with PWM fans and all DC fans regardless of header will do 100% on power on.

I also wonder if we are talking about the case fans on the front on the 780T, particularly since they are "not detected". While not required, these are often connected to the case fan control knob on the top of the unit. That is a DC control system, the included case fans are DC AF140L's, and the power supply is straight from the PSU via molex adapter. The motherboard is bypassed. Those will need to spin at 100% on power up. If the issue is the controller defaults to setting #3/High on start up, I am not aware of a fix and we need a 780T owner to add to this. However, I don't particularly like manual fan control knobs and if you are using AI Suite for the rest of your fans, you might as well add the front ones in too. They will still go 100% on boot, but will downshift to BIOS settings within seconds and then the AI Suite/FanXpert levels as Windows loads. Move the fans off the case control hub and onto one of the front CHA_2 or 3 fan headers.

Archived