Corsair Community

Old h100 to h115i? Worth it?

AGATwitch

Recently switched to Intel and have an i7-6700k overclocked to 4.6Ghz. Load Temps at 80 degrees on a 3 year(ish) old h100....with the skinny hard plastic ridgid hoses. While my Temps are fine....I'm wondering. Because hypothetically performance should be much better on a h115i.....or is it? So my question.... get it? Or just stick with what I have? Is there any cooling benchmarks comparing the different models?

You could bootstrap your way up the comparison charts from H100 to old H100i to current H100i v2 to H115i, but it is going to be a definite difference. The jump to 280mm from 240 offers a normal use and quality of life improvement. You can run a 280mm with minimal fan speeds for most all loads. Surely there is at least a 10C drop in max load temps, but you may be more appreciative of the normal use differences.
  • Confused 1

You never how much this really helps with longevity, but if you are getting into the 70's with editing, this should bring you back down to point where you don't have to worry about it. For comparison, my 5930K pulls about 205-215W at 4.5GHz and 4.0 on the cache at 100%. My H110 can handle that and keep it around 70C. You can't possibly use that kind wattage on a 6700K, so your long term render temps should be very good with less total heat to dissipate. Like most everyone, your max CPU temps are going to be CPU construction and voltage related, not how much heat the water system can manage.