Corsair Community

H100i v2 + Asus Z170-A - Pump Speed - Pump Header Vs Corsair Link

wisebug

Hi,

Using the method Corsair Suggest:

- Pump to CPU Header.

- Fans to the Y splitter that connects to the pump.

I also disable Qfan management on the CPU header.

I replaced the stock fans with 2 Deepcool Gamer Storm TF 120 (PWM)

Corsair Link let me set my pump to Quiet (~1950rpm) or Performance (3000rpm) mode.

The fans spins and stop for no reason and it's extremely annoying when using any of the default profile.

I decided to use the Pump Header for the pump and connect the fans to Cpu Header and Cpu Opt header respectively.

I can then manage them from Qfan it it works really well.

The pump seem to be running at ~1950rpm even when I set it too 100% in Qfan.

How do I get the fan to run at 3000rpm? Does it need to draw extra power from the USB Header?

I can't seem to have it run at full speed (3000rpm) without using corsair link.

You must use Corsair Link to control pump speed. There is no way to do it from the BIOS and the USB cable is required. The water pump header should stay at 100%/Full Speed (EZ-BIOS) or Disabled (Advanced BIOS -> Monitor tab). If you set the Pump to Performance, it should stay the higher ~3000 speed. If it doesn't want to do that, try setting it Link, then fully exit from the task bar icon. Start it up again and hopefully those settings will now be locked and you can exit again permanently. This works with some Corsair programs when trying to lock in a start-up profile. Someone currently using Link may have some other ideas.

The fan control issue when running from the block is a bit puzzling. The fans shouldn't ever stop and there is no control for that. The minimum run speed is quite low and the start-up voltage (7v) should not be an issue. It does appear to be a PWM motor. If you try again, make sure the connectors are full engaged. It also makes be wonder about the splitter. It is rare, but there have been a couple of isolated incidents with a defective cable.

But if I don't use Corsair Link and the Usb Link will the pump be running at Quiet Mode (~1950rpm) speed all the time?

I don't really care about the Performance Mode so I don't have a problem controlling everything in bios.

I was more wondering as to why the pump wasn't running at max 3000rpm when set to 100% in bios.

Both pump and fans are PWM controlled devices. It's not a DC device where you alter the voltage to change the speed. The motherboard header in the BIOS needs to be at 100%/Full speed so the pump gets the 12v supply it needs to operate. However, there is no way to communicate with the pump control device from the BIOS and send a PWM signal to tell it run in 'Performance Pump Mode' at 3000 rpm. Quiet Pump Mode = 1950 RPM, Performance Pump Mode = ~3000 RPM. You need to Link to send the proper signal to change modes, but it should stay once properly set.

I don't know how it will behave without the USB connected and you certainly won't be able to change pump speed or LED lighting without it. It may stay at the last known settings. It may revert to a default profile.

If it were possible, it would probably require 2 motherboard headers -- 1 for PWM fan control and 1 for PWM pump control. That could be problematic for some people.

As for the pump speed, you should be fine at 1950 and that would be my preferred setting. You really need an extended heavy load before pump speed starts to factor in on the larger dual coolers. There is also something of a balance between flow speed and the ability to release heat through the radiator channels. The faster the flow rate, the more trips each unit of water can make from cold plate to radiator and back. However, that also means the water spends less time in the radiator channels and has less opportunity to release heat. You'd need exit temp data and a few other things to find optimal balance, but since most people don't report any meaningful differences in load temps between the settings, I'd settle on the quieter cycle too.

Archived