Corsair Community

BlueScreen on New ASUS K8NE/VS1GBKIT400/AMD64

soccerinco

My new PC is blue screening on installation of new Operating System. It goes through the setup process, but when it goes to Starting Windows...Blam its the BSOD. One thing I notice is that in the Bios, under the memory settings, default is 200... I changed the speed to manual and bumped it up to 400, but still got the same issues. Plz help

All new parts

ASUS K8NE MoBo

AMD 64 3200+

VS1GBKIT400 (Value Select DDR400 PC3200) from Corsair

• Corsair Employees

Please put the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&3 and that you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB; load setup/optimized default settings, and set the following BIOS settings:

Advanced Chipset/Memory Configuration:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 2:1 (DDR400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

Hypertransport: 4X

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

tried to configure the options suggested

Memclock Value: 2:1 (DDR400) ??? set speed to 400

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled... Not listed

Burst Length: 8... not listed

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T... set

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T... set

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T... set

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T...set

Hypertransport: 4X...set

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

Spread Spectrum: Enabled... not listed

CPU FSB Clock: 200...not listed

DDR Voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts...set

Tried all combos of mem in various slots...still get the BSOD

Memory tested out ok in the memtest. Where to go from here?

If you are passing http://www.memtest.org and still getting BSOD's that might suggest some other problem. Was this a fresh install of the O.S. on this system?

Yes,

Fresh install, tried differnt OS's. XP pro/ XP pro 64bit. It goes BSOD during the install process at the same point..."Starting Windows"... I sent the MoBo and CPU back and hope to get a replacement by the weekend. Just hope I dont get a repeat performance. Also, I am concerned that I am not setting correct memory settings in my BIOS. There were alot of setting recommendations that just werent in my BIOS. Does anyone have the Combo that I do, and what are your settings?

Thanks

I have seen way too many posts from people with bad experiences.

Yes, and you will continue to see them here, as this IS a support forum, primarily for RMAs. Not many people call up tech support to say "awesome product" and the like.

If memtest passed, it's doubtful it's the memory, albeit still possible. It's odd though that after changing the mobo and CPU the OS installed just fine.

I'd personally lean towards something with the HDD or another component, but that's just me. To confirm it's the memory, the best thing to do would be to run them in a known good system. I wouldn't be suprised if Ram Guy offers to RMA the memory just to help out in spite of the conflicting evidence both stating that the memory is good and bad, however I'd test the memory in another system if possible before going the RMA route.

The way memory has to be bad and yet pass a memtest is SO specific that the odds are better that you'll win the lottery.

Archived