Corsair Community

H100i V2 240mm LED issue?

kentobeanz

Hi,

I just built together my first PC and there were a few issues I noticed with my corsair cooler last night. These are the spec of my pc if it helps any:

Win 10 Pro 64bit

ASUS Z170-AR Mobo

i7-6700K

EVGA 1070 SC ACX 3.0 GPU

Corsair H100i V2 (240mm) cooler

Ballistix 16GB RAM 2400

EVGA SuperNova G2 650W

SNZXT 340 Case (white)

Everything was working fine the few days when i put it together but I noticed there were two issues with my cooler.

1) I cannot control the fan speed or LED color of the cooler. I downloaded the newest Corsair Link and it shows the fan speed of my cooler within the program, but its greyed out where I should be able to choose the color.

However, I did notice I did not plug in the mini usb on the header of the cooler so I was thinking maybe thats why I can't do that? This leads to two more questios: 1) Does the cooler come with the mini usb cable? (I'll double check my box when I get to see but I'm just curious)

2) If it does, where does the other end go? Does it plug into my MOBO or does it actually need to reach into one of my USB ports that's on the outside of the case?

My second main question is: 2) Is it normal for the corsair logo to stay lit at a pinkish color when my PC is off? When I first put everything together..I'm prettty sure that when I shut my PC down, everything turned off. Now, the logo stays lit with a pinkish color. When I turn my PC on, the logo goes back to the default white color.

Sorry if these are all noobish questions but I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Hi,

The mini USB, which does come with the cooler, needs to be plugged into the bottom of the pump to a USB header slot. If your case uses a few USBs then you may need to replace one of your case USB plugs with that of the H100i. Although this, which I think, isn't to allow manual control of the fan speed, I've just noticed with this plugged in you can view the pump speed but I may be wrong, it could also be what's giving you the other problems but I doubt it because it isn't a requirement for the cooler to work.

As for the pinkish colour when the PC is off I had noticed this on mine but this was a few months ago and was very brief, I'm pretty sure it disappeared when I made sure everything was connected up correctly.

You only need to plug the pump into the CPU_FAN on the motherboard and then plug the fans into the two slots that come off the second cable and you're good to go, although you can bypass this and just plug the fans into the two CHA_FAN slots on the motherboard and you can change fan speeds in the BIOS or an application such as Speed Fan.

Hope this info helps, I can only suggest double checking all your connections and see how you go from there.

Having the usb cable, that comes with the cooler, plugged in allows Link to adjust all the settings on the cooler, led colour, pump speed and fan speed.

I'm not sure how the H100i V2 is powered, if it has a cable with one wire and a fan connector, plug that into the cpu_fan header (this just tells the bios that there's a fan connected and stops any errors) and the Sata cable to a Sata power lead. If the lead has 4 wires, connect it to the same cpu_fan header which will power it. Either way, the usb cable needs to be plugged in to control it.

Edited by snapper69

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was able to plug the mini usb into the header of the pump and into a USB header slot within my motherboard. I am now able to control the LED and fan speed within Corsair Link.

I have another question now..

I took out the 2 fans that came with the h100i to readjust them. The way I have them set up is that my radiator is at the front of my case and the two fans are behind it (close to my CPU). I've seen other sets where the fans are on the front of the case, with the radiator behind it. What's the difference between these two set up? I wanted my fans to push the hot air from inside my case to outside but I had the fans facing the wrong way the whole time. I never realized there's a small horizontal arrow to show which direction the air flow would go. There's also a vertical arrow thats pointing either UP or Down depend on how you hold it...so does anyone know what the vertical arrows are for? Am I suppose to place the fans so that the arrow is facing up?

Also ever since I switched the air flow of the fans (before it was blowing air towards my CPU and now its blowing air out my case), it seems to be a lot louder? I know I can change the fan speed curve within Corsair Link and i did but I'm curious as to why adjusting the air flow would make the fans a lot louder now?

The easy way to tell airflow direction is to look at the two different sides of the fan. The 'blade' side is the intake. This is what most people would consider the front of the fan. The blades are close the front and most pieces are angled. The 'label' side is the exhaust. On this side you will see the specification sticker on the fan hub. This side is usually flat, likely has exhaust vanes to direct airflow, and visible wiring. This is the reverse of your standard house fan, so some people are initially confused. The direction the air travels relates the blade angle and the direction of rotation. The vertical arrow as you described it, tells you the direction of blade rotation.

You have an unusual set-up. Your case isn't listed in your details and I don't know your other options. Hopefully, you have some intake air coming from somewhere. As for the proper side of the radiator for mounting, it doesn't really matter from a physics standpoint. However, any time you move the intake/blade side of the fan close to a physical object, whether it is a radiator, filter, or case mesh, you increase the possibility of noise, often in the upper frequencies that are more noticeable. Sometimes this is perceived as 'buzzy'. There is a greater distance from frame to blade on the exhaust side of the fan and you usually have slightly less perceived noise when the intake side is unobstructed. If your radiator fans are on the inner most part, label side against the radiator, and blowing air out the front, that should be the least noise (although this is very subjective). If it is clearly not, than something else is probably influencing the sound. This could the material in the front of the case or even a large pressure imbalance between your intake and exhaust flow in and out of the case.

I think the best place to start is to describe your case and the rest of the fans, including their size and airflow direction.

The easy way to tell airflow direction is to look at the two different sides of the fan. The 'blade' side is the intake. This is what most people would consider the front of the fan. The blades are close the front and most pieces are angled. The 'label' side is the exhaust. On this side you will see the specification sticker on the fan hub. This side is usually flat, likely has exhaust vanes to direct airflow, and visible wiring. This is the reverse of your standard house fan, so some people are initially confused. The direction the air travels relates the blade angle and the direction of rotation. The vertical arrow as you described it, tells you the direction of blade rotation.

You have an unusual set-up. Your case isn't listed in your details and I don't know your other options. Hopefully, you have some intake air coming from somewhere. As for the proper side of the radiator for mounting, it doesn't really matter from a physics standpoint. However, any time you move the intake/blade side of the fan close to a physical object, whether it is a radiator, filter, or case mesh, you increase the possibility of noise, often in the upper frequencies that are more noticeable. Sometimes this is perceived as 'buzzy'. There is a greater distance from frame to blade on the exhaust side of the fan and you usually have slightly less perceived noise when the intake side is unobstructed. If your radiator fans are on the inner most part, label side against the radiator, and blowing air out the front, that should be the least noise (although this is very subjective). If it is clearly not, than something else is probably influencing the sound. This could the material in the front of the case or even a large pressure imbalance between your intake and exhaust flow in and out of the case.

I think the best place to start is to describe your case and the rest of the fans, including their size and airflow direction.

Hi Thanks for your reply!

The case I have is the white NZXTS340. The case came with two 120mm fans, one on top and one in the rear and they both act as an exhaust. As for the vertical arrows, thanks for explaining what they mean to me. Maybe I'll take the fans out again and make sure both fans are angled so that they are both spinning in the same directions..maybe thats what caused the loudness?

As for the airflow set up, since the top and rear fan are exhaust, should I set up the front two fans with the H100i as an intake? Right now I believe it's set up as an exhaust because I can feel hot air being pushed out the front.

Yes, I would set the front fans back to intake and leave the top and rear as exhaust. Most cases were designed with front to back/top airflow in mind and there is a logic in relation to the components. In this case, you can't really put the 240mm radiator anywhere else and my hunch is your noise is a consequence of all the back pressure from trying to exhaust everything. The air has to come come from somewhere and the fans are trying to pull it from anywhere they can. This could be through mesh if you have a lot, but the fans are likely 'pulling' on each other. You always want aim for a general balance between intake and exhaust. It is not necessary to be perfect and this changes with fan speed, but large deficits one way or the other tend to create adverse side affects.

As for the front radiator and fan placement, front mount sometimes will force you to put the fans on one side or the other of the radiator for mounting purposes alone. Don't worry about which side the fans are on. Any minor differences in tone are likely quashed by extreme difficulties in mounting or radiator/fan/front panel access. Also, sandwiching the fans between the case and radiator will occasionally make things worse. If you feel the fans are too "buzzy" on the case interior side of the radiator, a pair or 2-4mm rubber gaskets for $4 is a much better solution than extreme mounting options.

Edited by c-attack

Yes, I would set the front fans back to intake and leave the top and rear as exhaust. Most cases were designed with front to back/top airflow in mind and there is a logic in relation to the components. In this case, you can't really put the 240mm radiator anywhere else and my hunch is your noise is a consequence of all the back pressure from trying to exhaust everything. The air has to come come from somewhere and the fans are trying to pull it from anywhere they can. This could be through mesh if you have a lot, but the fans are likely 'pulling' on each other. You always want aim for a general balance between intake and exhaust. It is not necessary to be perfect and this changes with fan speed, but large deceits one way or the other tend to create adverse side affects.

As for the front radiator and fan placement, front mount sometimes will force you to put the fans on one side or the other of the radiator for mounting purposes alone. Don't worry about which side the fans are on. Any minor differences in tone are likely quashed by extreme difficulties in mounting or radiator/fan/front panel access. Also, sandwiching the fans between the case and radiator will occasionally make things worse. If you feel the fans are too "buzzy" on the case interior side of the radiator, a pair or 2-4mm rubber gaskets for $4 is a much better solution than extreme mounting options.

Ok I will change my two fans in the front back to intake and will make sure the arrows on the fans are pointed towards my CPU. I will give you an update once it's done. Thanks again for the help!