Corsair Community

Asus P5AD2E Premium and Corsair5400CPro

Has anyone had any luck overclocking this memory to 711mhz native to the Asus mobo? I'm having problems even getting my stsem to work so far, but I intend on trying to OC to 711 to take full advantage of the 1066 fsb(P4 3.46EE CPU) to OC the bus to 278.5, achieving a stable system at 3.899 Ghz. Asus does not list the Corsair as one of their tested RAM acieving 711 mhz but I could not find ANY of the one's they tested that acieved 711mhz for sale ANYWHERE on the internet. Since I have 2 gigs (4X512) of Twin Matched 5400CPro, I'll certainly give it a try, but from what I've read here on these forum pages, peolpe seem to be underclocking to 533 mhz to achieve statability with this board. I'm hoping some of you can shed light on this. RAM Guy (thanks!) sent me an e-mail that the memory is guaranteed stable at 675 mhz but no instructiuons for achieveing a stable 711mhz. Anyone who has done this, or attempted to, please let me know.

I just read a great article comparing the Corsair 5400Cpro to the Kingston KHX5400D2K/1G on hothardware.com, stating they achieved an impressive clock speed of 362MHz(DDR725) with the Corsair at SPD timings of 4-4-4-12. The Corsair was also stable at more aggressive timings of 3-3-3-10. I purchased the new Asus board because it is said to be one of the very best boards for overclocking and I want to achieve the native 711MHz capability of the board. Has anyone else had similar success overclocking the 5400CPro to such outstanding results and can you give me pointers on how you did so? Thanks I'm new at overclocking but a quick learner.

I feel like an idiot replying to my own message but I figured it out. Since I have the 3.46 EE CPU (1066FSB) the Corsair 5400CPro will automatically run at DDR2-711 when the FSB is increased to 1066!! So instead of selecting the 1 to 1:33 ratio to run DDR2-533 on FSB800, I'll move to the 266MHz FSB of FSB1066, automatically running the memory bus at 266-1:33=355.6MHz which means DDR2-711 at 4-4-3-8 timing. RAM GUY, did I get this right? I hope this helps someone trying to achieve similar results. Pretty cool,eh? Can't wait to try it.

You should not have any problems hitting that frequency with those modules. The only thing that may slow you down is having 4 modules instead of 2. The modules should go to almost 400 with 2 installed. Dont know what you would top out at with 4.

Thanks, I always thought 2 gigs would be better than 1 for my advanced video editing since I have so much going on between 2 monitors. Someone posted that the extra gig sucks an extra 45 watts from the power supply(Antec TP550 EPS 12v). Now you say the extra gig may SLOW me down-I'm confused to be sure. What do you mean by that and is there a way to compenstate, or should I just stay with 2 sticks of 512? Also, (this may seem dumb-I've never researched system memory before) will the bios automatically adjust the timings of 4-4-3-8 when I set the fsb to 266 or do I have to manually change that in the bios beforehand? When you say 400, do you mean MHz? In the article in HotHardware the 5400C4 Pro hit a maximum clock speed of 363MHz at 4-4-4-12 timings in SiSoft SANDRA 2004. I hope to get the memory to be stable at 355.6 MHz to achieve my goal of DDR2-711. I never knew it would be so difficult when I began this endeavor.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Scotty,

Can you give me your Bios settings? May be it help. Here is my problem:

Windows XP will not install on my system with Asus motherboard P5AD2-E Premium (intel 925XE) and 4 x 512MB DIMM of XMS2 5400. I got blue screen beginning of WinXP install.

With only 2 x 512MB DIMM, WinXP install go without probleme. The system is stable and fine, I play game all night without crash.

Then, I add the 2 anothers DIMM to have 2GB, but my games will crash.

I have this RAM in an Abit AA8XE and successfully run it up to 726Mhz 4-4-4-12.

I have a 3.46EE 1066FSBCPU, in order to get it to run over 700 Mhz you need to select in BIOS 'NB Strap 800" to foll the board into thinking you have an 800FSB CPU where upon 3:4 will be invoked and DDR 711 you have.

Mind you performance and benchmarks suck, 1:1 is better with the Gallatin 3.46EE i have found. :sunglasse

Archived