Corsair Community

Memory of motherbd?

JimmyG

I have a brand new SOYO Dragon Plus 1.0 (SY-P41865 PE Plus 1.0) MB and 2 new sticks of Corsair 512MB DDR Ram (V51 GBKIT 400). The computer is all new components, with a 350w Antec case. The sytem randomly reboots running the game SIMS2. I ran each stick individually in slot #1 with the microsoft memory tester for at least 8 hrs each - no faults. I cannot run both sticks at the same time in any combo of slots without an error, I tried all combos - 1-3, 2-4, 1-2, 3-4, 2-3, 1-4. Sometimes I get memory errors immediately, other times I can run a mem test all night and get no errors. When I run the test again with the previosuly good slots I get errors. Most of the time they are LRAND errors. Is this a board issue? I would think the sticks would be good if they can run ok individually w/o errors. Another odd thing is I also tired running just one stick in slot one with the game, the sytem still would reboot. Is 8 hrs running the extended test (11 tests) good enough to tell me the memory is good? My friend also got this same bd around the same time and he cannot run in dual mem mode - he also had random reboots, but his reboots disappeared after he ran non-dual mode. I heard main cause of reboots is either memory or power supply, since I am getting memory faults could the bd be messing something up? Would appreciate any advice I can get, kinda frustrating since I put this together for my daughter for Christmas and it is a real bummer that she can't enjoy the new machine.

Do you know what voltage the RAM is running at? This is just a guess, but it may have enough power for one stick, but not enough for two. If you know how to, try increasing the voltage to 2.75v and see if you still have problems. This will be in your BIOS settings.

That will work, but I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. And can you tell me the CPU speed and it's FSB? In addition, a 350 watt PSU may not be enough depending on the system configuration.

CPU speed is a 3.0 gig P4 (CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT RT)

I am running a ATI 9800 Radean video card, CD/DVD combo, 1 SETA HD, 2 120 mm fans, and a video card Arctic Cooler. Since I ran at 333 it has still crashed. I have used 2 different sets of RAM - Corsair and Crucial - same problem with both. I will run the mem test this weekend and possibly aslo trying to bring the voltage up to 2.6 or 2.7. It seems to crash after the machine has warmed up (about 1-2 hrs after start). Thx for your help

That would suggest a power problem, can you test the modules on another system? And with that configuration I would suggest at least a 450 Watt PSU.

I put the original Corsair memory into another machine with a Pentium 2.8 g processor 800 FSB and a ABIT MOBO - no problems.

Then I will highly recommend you to use a different PSU, if you can borrow it from a friend, or have a spare one, then I will definitely try it to see if the PSU is the one that causing your problem.

I'm gonna get a 480w thermaltake, that should be enough juice to run this one. Thx for the help - I'm a newbee at this and I need all the advice I can get.

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest you to get a 550 watts or even 600 watts, and just add a couple of dollars on it, since you know for fact that later on when you upgrade to a new system, that you can still utilize the PSU that you have rather than buying a new one again.

I would suggest you to get a 550 watts or even 600 watts, and just add a couple of dollars on it, since you know for fact that later on when you upgrade to a new system, that you can still utilize the PSU that you have rather than buying a new one again.

I put in a new psu - still the same problem. I think it is the MOBO, nothing left to replace. I put the latest bios update in today and still the same problem. What do you think of SOYO MOBO's - my 1st impression of them is poor.

Archived