Corsair Community

Dead H100i v2 pump?

Danielw597

Hi,

Last night I decided to try out the Corsair link way of managing fan speeds as I didn't like the increase in fan speed controlled by CPU load.

Anyway, I unplugged the fans from the motherboard and in to the link adapter, I also pulled the pump plug from the cpu_fan by accident, and plugged it back in. Regrettably I did this whilst the system was on as I've never had any issues doing so before, then my PC shut itself down as soon as the pump made connection to the CPU_FAN header.

I booted the system back up after its abrupt shutdown to find it won't boot now and I'm just seeing this message on boot.

"CPU Fan speed error detected.

Ensure that the CPU fan is properly installed on the CPU_FAN header or adjust/disable the Fan Speed Low Limit option in the UEFI BIOS."

I've tried disabling the Fan Speed Low Limit and the problem persists. I also can't keep the system on too long as I've now noticed the CPU temp rises quite quickly up into the 70's (at which point I've had to shut it down to avoid overheating)

If it's also worth mentioning, the unit itself lights up still once connected to the CPU_FAN, I just can't feel any pump vibration in the tube which leads me to believe the pump has blown?

I've emailed the seller I bought the unit off a few months ago for the original invoice to see if I can RMA the unit with Corsair, although I'm thinking it's totally shot and will mean purchasing another one.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated!

Dan.

It doesn't look good. Power to one section (LED lights) does not mean another circuit wasn't damaged. You could try moving the GTX motherboard header to alternate CHA_FAN header to see if the CPU fan header has been affected. This will likely require you to move the rear fan or another case to the CPU_FAN header, both for boot purposes and to test the header with another device.

Is there any pump speed reading in LINK? I suppose you may not have installed if running from the board.

If the GTX still won't run off another header, proceed with the RMA through Corsair.

It doesn't look good. Power to one section (LED lights) does not mean another circuit wasn't damaged. You could try moving the GTX motherboard header to alternate CHA_FAN header to see if the CPU fan header has been affected. This will likely require you to move the rear fan or another case to the CPU_FAN header, both for boot purposes and to test the header with another device.

Is there any pump speed reading in LINK? I suppose you may not have installed if running from the board.

If the GTX still won't run off another header, proceed with the RMA through Corsair.

Thanks for your reply, sorry I forgot to mention that I have tried the pump in one of the the CHA_FAN and the problem persists. Even after disabling the Low Limit option I can't get into the OS so I can't check the pump RPM, I'll have to have a look online for the whereabouts of the CPU fan RPM as the temp gets up quite quickly and I can't stay in BIOS too long before shutting down to cool down.

The pump speed was being detected in Link before any issues started.

It seems extremely likely the pump is not turning at all and some element of it was damaged. You don't have to narrow down the exact component. If you haven't already, start the RMA process here. No need to over-elaborate the moment of failure. Just let them know you were running the fans from the board, moved them to the pump, and now the pump does appear to be non-functional.

It seems extremely likely the pump is not turning at all and some element of it was damaged. You don't have to narrow down the exact component. If you haven't already, start the RMA process here. No need to over-elaborate the moment of failure. Just let them know you were running the fans from the board, moved them to the pump, and now the pump does appear to be not functioning.

Thanks for the advice, I've created a ticket but I'm not sure how far it'll go as I bought the item nearly new off eBay.

Maybe the extra few quid would've been worth paying at the time! :sigh!:

Installed an old H55 for the time being and plugged the v2 pump into CHA_FAN and 0rpm on the pump is displayed so it's shot. Although it does makes a strange noise when plugging the v2 in, as if it goes to spin but doesn't.

I'm afraid without a retail invoice you may hit a dead end, as the warranty is not transferable. Corsair uses the invoice to determine the start of the warranty period, rather than make you register the product, jump through hoops, or screw you later for not registering within 30 days or some arbitrary period.

I think your initial deduction was correct the and pump motor itself was damaged with power surge. The H100i GTX/v2 model draws pump, fan, and LED power through the 3 pin connector, unlike some other models that use a SATA connector for primary power. Although, I am not sure that distinction would have saved you. Sorry. Tough break.

Archived