Corsair Community

Setting VS1GBKIT400 to DDR333

sponsz

Hi

I'm hoping someone knowledgable here will be able to help me out. I recently built a system with the following spec:

VS1GBKIT400 RAM (2x512MB, DDR400, PC3200)

AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64 3500+

Abit AV8-3rd Eye mobo

425W Hiperpower PSU

Radeon 9800 Pro

Maxtor Diamondmax 160GB Sata

I'm having a hell of a time with blank blue screens at memory-intensive moments eg.loading screens in Half-Life 2, and have found that reducing the CPU FSB on the mobo from the ABIT default of 204Mhz to 200Mhz helps, and also reducing my RAM from DDR400 to DDR333 helps massively (as recommended here - http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=60317 - a regular problem with this Abit AV8 board it seems).

Prime95 and Memtest run without errors now (Prime95 always failed with DRR400), but I still get blank blue screens in Half-Life 2 occasionally (not during gameplay, only at the long loading screens) which suggest I haven't ironed out all the problems, and the system overall seems slow and unstable.

My main question is - when I reduce VS1GBKIT400 from DDR400 to DDR333, do I have to change the other memory speeds too, to keep things in sync (currently 2.5-3-3-8)? If so, what settings do I need? Also, my BIOS has the RAM voltage set to 2.65v, but monitoring it I can see it's normally fluctuating around 2.67V - should I increase this to 2.7V? Or could it be that I just need more expensive RAM as is often suggested - is it true that the mobo could be fussy about this?

Having a hell of a time with this mobo and this is my first ever system build! Not a great induction, feel like sending the whole lot back and starting with a different setup, but I figure that will just mean a whole new set of problems to get my head around :(

Thanks a lot for your help

Alex

Welcome to the forums, Alex!

That voltage is just fine for the VS modules, so don't worry about it. Also, when going to DDR333, you won't need to adjust the timings/latencies.

However...

Have you tried one module at a time with them set at DDR400?

Have you tried running both modules together in SINGLE-CHANNEL mode? (Use DIMM slots 1 & 2)

What's your HT set at? 4x? 2x?

PLUR

CK

Thank you for your replies guys, much appreciated.

CandyKid: I haven't tried each stick on its own, thanks, will give that a go. I can't find out how to run both as single channel, though - there seems to be no BIOS option to do this. Also, I can't find anything called "HT" in the BIOS, could you give more info please? Is it something to do with Hyper Transport?

RAM Guy: Do you mean I should set the RAM to DDR200 instead of DDR333? Or are you referring to the CPU FSB there?

Thanks again - sorry to ask more questions, I appreciate your patience!

Alex

CandyKid: I haven't tried each stick on its own, thanks, will give that a go. I can't find out how to run both as single channel, though - there seems to be no BIOS option to do this.

There is no BIOS setting for this. You must physically MOVE the modules into DIMM slots 1 & 2.

Also, I can't find anything called "HT" in the BIOS, could you give more info please? Is it something to do with Hyper Transport?

Sorry, HT = Hyper Transport. There should be a BIOS setting for this at 1x, 2x, 4x, etc.

RAM Guy: Do you mean I should set the RAM to DDR200 instead of DDR333? Or are you referring to the CPU FSB there?

No, he means set the RAM to 200MHz/DDR400. These two nomenclatures mean the same thing. Since it's Double Data Rate (DDR) memory, it actually runs at 200MHz, but functions by sending data twice per cycle and you get DDR400.

Thanks again - sorry to ask more questions, I appreciate your patience!

That's what we're here for.

PLUR

CK

Archived