Corsair Community

RM750i random shut downs - do I need to RMA? (Canada)

Kukov

UPDATE: Have since purchased a 500W EVGA PSU and there are no shutdowns - confirms that it was my Corsair PSU that was causing the problem.

Hi everyone,

TL;DR

Have a one year old Corsair RM 750i that started randomly shutting down. Replaced the PSU with a temporary one and everything is fine. How do I fix the issue with the 750i? RMA?

DETAILS

I bought a Corsair RM 750i about one year ago for my new system: i7-5820K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, GTX 660, Noctua D14 cooler, 2 HDDs, 2 SSDs, etc. Overclocked the CPU to 4.4 GHZ and did extensive stress tests six months ago (and confirmed details on Overclockers.net forums) and everything was fine.

The system has been running great until two weeks ago when I started experiencing random shut downs. I work as a video editor and am on my computer for roughly 12 hours a day, often doing heavy rendering. Note, I've done lots of stress tests months ago where I would do heavy 3D renders out of Cinema4D where it would use all CPU cores at almost 100% for 12+ hours and everything was fine.

The shut downs seemed to be random, for no real reason - not during a render or anything intense. Then they started happening more often - it slowly became twice a day, then three times a day. Realising that I was losing a lot of time dealing with this and it wasn't going to get any better, I went out and bought a $60 500W EVGA power supply and put it in. Since then, the system has been totally fine - no shut downs. This leads me to believe the problem is, as suspected, the power supply.

I understand that the RM 750 has had random shut down issues as seen in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=123484

However, I understand that the RM 750i is a better model and should be fine.

At this point I'm just happy to have my system back in working order, and I'd like to get this PSU issue sorted out ASAP as I plan to buy a GTX 1080 in a few months. Given that my 750i has a ten year warranty, and I bought it specifically to avoid this kind of problem, I'm thinking I'll need to RMA it.

But before I start that process, I wanted to check in here and see if anyone has any advice, or has experienced a similar issue.

Lastly, has anyone RMA'd from Canada (Toronto)? What was your experience like with shipping, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Kukov

If the PSU is shutting down, it definitely suggests a problem

shipping cost for a PSU is unavoidably higher due to the size and weight

Thanks!

I've never RMA'd before, let alone with Corsair - I take this to mean that I have to cover the shipping (to them) myself? What about shipping back - I assume they cover that?

Lucky me not to have a PSU die, Corsair does accept RMA from Canada.

Generally with RMA shipped costs to send the unit back are the owners responsibility and Corsair will pay to ship a replacement, this is industry standard

Lucky me not to have a PSU die, Corsair does accept RMA from Canada.

Generally with RMA shipped costs to send the unit back are the owners responsibility and Corsair will pay to ship a replacement, this is industry standard

Thanks! Have submitted an RMA request - hopefully everything will go through quickly. Planning on buying a GTX 1070 in 3-4 weeks and am going to need my 750W back!

UPDATE: Have since purchased a 500W EVGA PSU and there are no shutdowns - confirms that it was my Corsair PSU that was causing the problem.