Corsair Community

How do you set the "CUE Not Running" Profile for the K70?

Jenksy

When I first bought the keyboard a week ago, out of the box the Arrows keys and WASD are coloured differently than the rest of the keyboard.

Upon installing CUE I was able to set a profile, but that only takes effect when CUE is running -- AFTER login.

Tinkering with CUE some, I was trying to make the CAPS LOCK key highlight when it's set. I couldn't figure it out after several profile copies / changes / sets... Reverted back tot he one profile after becoming frustrated with CUE (for the fourth time since purchasing the peripheral only a week ago)... This keyboard rocks, but the software is really ****ty...

Now, when my computer boots, I have a half-configured profile that ISN'T the default out-of-the-box profile that loads when CUE isn't running. Upon logging in, CUE fires up and the keyboard resumes normal operation, but if I close CUE while logged in it reverts to this weird profile that I don't want.

HOW DO I CONFIGURE THE CUE-NOT-LOADED-PROFILE? This is the most unintuitive piece of software I've used Lotus Notes, and it hurts my feelings to have paid $200 for a keyboard that isn't configurable to my desire..

STEP IT UP CORSAIR.

I dont see how they can dumb down CUE anymore. Will they need to ship a Corsair IT personal with every keyboard...

Possibly?

The whole UI is proprietary to Corasir's suite of products... As someone who's never owned a Corsair peripheral prior to this, it's completely unintuitive. You'd think a 'default' profile would be the default when the software wasn't running; there's no mention of having to export it to the keyboard, which I did figure out after I posted this, but like, seriously?

This may be intuitive for you, but as a software developer who's been working in Windows interfaces since 3.1, There's absolutely nothing about this CUE interface that follows common design patterns associated with general OS usability that's been iterated for the last 20 years. They've re-invented the wheel on their GUI and while it's nice and black and sleek, they're going to need to guide some people through where certain buttons are hidden.

At the very least, a Tooltip popping up over the "Assign Key" button when you haven't selected a key to map an action to would help link the association between those two things....

May I ask how long you've been using Corsair products?

Possibly?

The whole UI is proprietary to Corasir's suite of products... As someone who's never owned a Corsair peripheral prior to this, it's completely unintuitive. You'd think a 'default' profile would be the default when the software wasn't running; there's no mention of having to export it to the keyboard, which I did figure out after I posted this, but like, seriously?

This may be intuitive for you, but as a software developer who's been working in Windows interfaces since 3.1, There's absolutely nothing about this CUE interface that follows common design patterns associated with general OS usability that's been iterated for the last 20 years. They've re-invented the wheel on their GUI and while it's nice and black and sleek, they're going to need to guide some people through where certain buttons are hidden.

At the very least, a Tooltip popping up over the "Assign Key" button when you haven't selected a key to map an action to would help link the association between those two things....

May I ask how long you've been using Corsair products?

Since the K70 RGB came out, and if you hate CUE 2's GUI try CUE 1. It might be a smoother experience.

As for "They've re-invented the wheel on their GUI and while it's nice and black and sleek, they're going to need to guide some people through where certain buttons are hidden." I mean nothing is really hidden compared to CUE 1, no more popups, or right clicks. Thought i agree there needs to be a 10 min CUE for dummies/beginners video of some kind.

And yes the default profile could be interpreted as the profile on the keyboard memory, but the only reason its like this is because without CUE the animations wont run. So they give people the choice to customize the keyboard even when CUE is off. Im not sure what they can do to solve this UI wise, maybe you have some suggestions

Im not sure what they can do to solve this UI wise, maybe you have some suggestions

Turning down the huypebole a bit, the interface isn't horrible, but it's not intuitive to a general user.

Having buttons hidden under buttons you need to click on to expand menus is the first deviation-from-standard I struggled with... Graphical menus are great, but having clickable elements exposed by default and not hidden under buttons may go some ways in improving intuitiveness.

And Tooltips! Guide the user with tooltips! A good GUI is self explanatory. Not that I want to promote iOS as an android user, but iOS was the first phone OS that didn't ship with a how-to-use pamphlet, and it's worked. Now you don't get a "how to use your phone" paper booklet with smartphone purchases, because they're iterated the UI to respond the way you'd expect it to.

CUE neither guides the user through the setup process, provides adequate documentation, or presents things in an easy-to-understand fashion.

Turning down the huypebole a bit, the interface isn't horrible, but it's not intuitive to a general user.

Having buttons hidden under buttons you need to click on to expand menus is the first deviation-from-standard I struggled with... Graphical menus are great, but having clickable elements exposed by default and not hidden under buttons may go some ways in improving intuitiveness.

And Tooltips! Guide the user with tooltips! A good GUI is self explanatory. Not that I want to promote iOS as an android user, but iOS was the first phone OS that didn't ship with a how-to-use pamphlet, and it's worked. Now you don't get a "how to use your phone" paper booklet with smartphone purchases, because they're iterated the UI to respond the way you'd expect it to.

CUE neither guides the user through the setup process, provides adequate documentation, or presents things in an easy-to-understand fashion.

But there are tooltips and the help button, i'm assuming you want more. Also you make a good point iOS has never really needed a how-to-use book, but their Apple, and everyone else copied Apple. If google went and made their own UI, who would have been the non standard? Apple or Google?

What is a standard UI for something like CUE. Logitech, Razer and every other RGB keyboard manufacturer has their own GUI that makes about as much sense as CUE. I guess my point is you can't standardize gaming software because there's not an "Apple" in the gaming keyboard space. If Corsair owned a 80% market share, they could probably remove the windows button and make millions lol.

All I read there is "We aren't Apple."

Sounds like an opportunity to Be Apple. Keeping in mind that Apple was basically one guy forcing his ideas on others through dictatorship, anything's possible when you remove democracy. ;)

The inability to fire a light effect on a key being depressed speaks to a lack of vision, and I stand by that statement. Hire someone who's never used the keyboard to redefine your UI, have them set up every keyboard Corsair produces, and you'll find yourself with better feedback than some frustrated user on the forums (me).

Market share doesn't matter. Apple innovated before they had market share -- it's people who wouldn't listen.