Corsair Community

Standard for testing RAM?

mercdv

What is the gold standard software for testing RAM?

I built a new system and it reboots sometimes while playing games. I looked at the minidump files and each crash was due to a different dll or sys file that weren't related in any fashion. So I was wondering if there is a preferred software program used to test RAM. I tested my RAM using several programs and then tested the CPU. I tested the RAM with Auto settings and Manual. My machine passed Windows Memory Diag. (one pass), MemTest86 (2 passes), CPU Stress Test (45 minutes running) but failed MemTest (Windows version, failed twice) and Prime95 Stress Test (failed 3 times). I'm more of a software guy than hardware so I can debug a program but have no idea how to reliably test hardware. My memory and machine specs are:

Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL (tested in Auto then used manual settings listed)

200MHz

Timing 2T

Tcl 2

Trcd 2

Tras 5

Trp 2

AMD 64 3500+

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard

MSI FX5900XT-VTD128 Video Card

2 WesternDigital 120GB Hard Drives

Ok, let me see if I have this right. I should increase the Trcd to 3 AND the Dim voltage to 2.8 volts then use memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.org for 3 passes?

Now is setting the Trcd to 3 going to slow down my RAM to the point where I shouldn't have paid extra cash for the extra low latency? Sorry, I'm not that big on the knowledge of how RAM timing, latency, and such effect the performance so don't kill me for asking what might be a stupid question to you guys. :o:

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed on your MB and that you have the modules installed on either slots 1&2 or 3&4; load optimized/set up defaults, set the following BIOS settings;

DRAM Configuration :

Max Memclock: Limit or 200

1T/2T Memory Timing : 1T

CAS# latency (Tlc): 2

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd): 2

Min RAS# active time (Tras): 5

Row precharge Time (Trp): 2

High Performance Mode : Manual

Aggressive timing : DISABLED

Dynamic Overclocking: DISABLED

Spread Spectrum : Enabled

HT Frequency : 5x

Cool’n’Quiet: Enable

Adjust CPU Rotation: Startup

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency: 200

Adjust AGP Frequency: 66

Adjust CPU VID 1.500v

CPU Voltage: By CPU VID

Memory Voltage : 2.75

AGP Voltage: 1.50V *1.6V if you have 9200 or 9600 ATI or 5200 or 5700 Nvidia card.

All other settings should be left to MB default settings.

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

N.P. Please let us know how you make out, and make sure you set the settings accordingly.

Well good and bad results. I tested the RAM for 11 hrs. using MemTest86+ and it passed on 28 passes. This made me assume it was a driver issue so I reformatted the machine using only the latest drivers released and certified by MSI. Well, five formats later and 1 attempt at using the latest nVidia drivers not the release drivers from MSI, still major issues. Now I'm not sure what to do. I make computer images for a living but we have a separate department that does hardware testing and repairs if we suspect there is a hardware issue while building an image (unfortunately we can't bring home equipment in to test it). There's no way it's a software issue because I've triple checked everything I can as far as the software side and like I said, I make images that are run on thousands of machines without any software problems. I've tested the hard drives with Western Digital LifeGuard and they pass. I've run Hot CPU Tester Lite and it passed all the tests that can be run under the lite version. I would say everything was ok but I still crash out of games and programs with memory errors. I'm starting to suspect the motherboard. I've never used a MSI board and I'm not too pleased so far. I usually use Abit and Asus to build my machines but MSI got some pretty good reviews. Am I right in suspecting the motherboard or could it still be the RAM? Is there a good test for motherboards out there? Some of the errors I got are listed below.

Error #1:

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084)

Program: D:\Games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe

Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:0077BBF2

The instruction at "0x0077BBF2" referenced memory at "0x00000000".

The memory could not be "written".

Error #2:

Application popup: HALF-LIFE 2: hl2.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x241f7c37" referenced memory at "0x0106f5c0". The memory could not be "read".

Error #3

Application popup: HALF-LIFE 2: hl2.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x241f7c37" referenced memory at "0x0106f5c0". The memory could not be "read".

Error #4:

Loading User Symbols

* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000000A, {0, 2, 1, 8051e106}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiRemovePageByColor+68 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Any ideas?

You might see if a friend and or your reseller can help you test them in another system.

Ok, I decided to RMA the mobo because I wasn't happy with it any way. I should be getting the ASUS A8V Deluxe any day now so I'll let you know how it goes with that board.

Archived