Corsair Community

Can Corsair please make the bulldog vertical?

SpitLashes

Hi Guys,

So I currently have the Spec Alpha case and thought that the Bulldog case is pretty cool, as it shares the angular design. But I also think that it would be great if we had the chance to change the feet, in order to put the bulldog in a vertical position.

I think that would actually make the bulldog the most visually appealing of all ITX cases on the market right now.

I am hoping that many people will join the discussion, so that Corsair will see what a brilliant idea this is.

(Iwould really want to have a vertical bulldog, especially in the red and black design that you can find on goolge)

Thanks guys! <3

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm working on designing a custom stand and having it 3D-printed. I wanted to have it stand so the Corsair logo and power button/front ports were at the top, however the opposite side of the case where the stand would be flexes too easily and I would think long-term this will end up bending the metal on that side. Additionally, I suspect between the PSU and the motherboard/liquid cooler, even with a decent-sized GPU counterbalancing, most of the weight is on the PSU side, and putting the stand on that side would make it bottom-heavy, rather than top-heavy.

The stand may have to run most/the entire length of the side for stability, meaning the side intake fan next to the motherboard will have to come out/not be used... however, there is a cutout for a larger, 120mm fan in the bottom of the case (which would become the side when vertical), next to the power supply. I have a fan there now, and it does the job, but cable management will have to be improved to minimize the cables running over the fan.

Side note: I have NGFF internal (laptop) antennas en route for the Bluetooth/WiFi, which will likely run out in between the metal interior and plastic exterior of the side where that fan will have to come out (next to the mobo). Good stuff.

So either side of the Bulldog (with the angles) is removable, leaving a more traditional, flat, metal side. I think I'll try having a stand made to replace the left side (where GPU is), but I'm concerned about using plastic for the notches that lock it into the metal interior shell... It's possible putting plastic on either side of the Bulldog would be enough support, so the notches would be there merely to hold the stand on when moving the Bulldog, rather than actually holding it upright. It might also use the 4 screws on the bottom on that side, where the original feet were (what would become the right side) to help lock it into place, although being made out of plastic this would to little for structural integrity...

Vertical stands on other devices (the Wii, PS4, etc.) are quite flimsy and it would be trivial to knock down one of those while on a vertical stand, although those are relatively light and small compared to the Bulldog. Interesting design challenge to be sure!

Most people don't have a 3D printer with a bed of at least 15" (the approx. length of the Bulldog), so it's looking like a two-piece solution. Two feet/stands, one on either end of that left side of the Bulldog, each about 6" long, 1-1.25" deep (downward from the case when vertical).

It's looking good fellas, I got the prototype today. Some adjustments need to be made, but I will be uploading the model as well as some photos in the next few days.

It's a two-piece solution with a stand at either end of the left side of the (horizontal) Bulldog, and puts most of the weight on the edges of that side where the plastic is solid and pressed-up against the metal inner-frame of the case. I'm considering the use of rubber to cradle the Bulldog into the case, and as feet on the bottom of each stand.

With only one of the two pieces holding the Bulldog, the left-side outer shell (becoming the bottom) is stable and shows no signs of damage/warping, however it will take long-term implementation to conclusively say if this solution will work for Bulldog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
It's looking good fellas, I got the prototype today. Some adjustments need to be made, but I will be uploading the model as well as some photos in the next few days.

It's a two-piece solution with a stand at either end of the left side of the (horizontal) Bulldog, and puts most of the weight on the edges of that side where the plastic is solid and pressed-up against the metal inner-frame of the case. I'm considering the use of rubber to cradle the Bulldog into the case, and as feet on the bottom of each stand.

With only one of the two pieces holding the Bulldog, the left-side outer shell (becoming the bottom) is stable and shows no signs of damage/warping, however it will take long-term implementation to conclusively say if this solution will work for Bulldog.

Have at it, fellas:

The Plans (model):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2746991

Nice job and thanks for sharing! I saw your post on reddit as well.