Corsair Community

512mb 400mhz hangs up

My computer hangs up during gameplay after about 5 minutes when my memory is set at 400mhz fsb. When I set it to 333mhz fsb my computer doesn't hang up. I believe I have a bad memory module since it doesn't run at its specification speed. What should I do?

Here are my pc specs:

amd athlon 3000+

pcchips m848alu MOBO

80gb barracuda, 80gb wd

lite-on cd-rw sohr-5238s

radeon 9550

450w pwr

5 case fans

TT cpu cooler

I have one stick of 512. I have built about 4 systems with this motherboard in the past 6 months and they worked fine. I haven't tried other memory in this system yet but im 100% sure its the memory because I spent about a week trying to fix it. I'm not at home right now so i'll have to wait till i get home to tell you the part # and revision #. I'll post that later today. All I remember is that its value select.

• Corsair Employees
I am not clear on what you are trying to say. And I would double check that you do indeed have a 400 FSB 3000+ and not a 333FSB CPU. And you might try and load setup defaults and see what the CPU gets set to By default and set it too 166 MHz and set the memory Freq at 100% and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. If they both pass then I would suspect some other problem.

My bios sets the ram at 200 by default so thats 400mhz fsb. and that makes the system hang when under load like playing a game. When I set the fsb of both to 166 (333mhz) the system didn't hang. So then I set the fsb of the cpu to 200 (400mhz) and left the ram fsb at 166 (333mhz) and the system runs fine, so the ram is either bad or the label on the ram is incorrect. I'll post what the label says when I get home.

• Corsair Employees

Jim

I am asking about your CPU not the memory.

But I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that!

But if your CPU speed is 166 then the fastest memory Freq supported would be DDR333! Just to be clear.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I went into bios and set my ddr cas latency to 2.5t from the default spd and set the fsb to default 400mhz and its seems to be stable now. I guess the default spd setting was causing a problem. Should I be ok now with the settings of 2.5t? And thank you very much for your help.

• Corsair Employees

Yes, please set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-8 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well.

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Archived