Corsair Community

Is CUE needed for the product to run normally?

Musickid

I have a Corsair K70 RGB keyboard, and I downloaded CUE and updated the firmware. As I don't really use any of CUE's features, is it ok for me to uninstall the software, as I prefer to have a minimum amount of programs running? Do I need the software for the polling rate to be applied like some mice? Thanks!

CUE needs to be active an running in background if you want to use actions/macros and/or want some lighting animation. If you don't use any of that you can safely uninstall CUE, or rather just disable it from running when windows boots. That way you won't have to re-install it again in the future when a FW update comes out.

I would like to know exactly which K95 functions require CUE to work, and thought I would post here instead of a new thread. I, too, am a bit turned off by the idea of having CUE running in the background all the time.

I understand that macros, actions and lighting effects will not work without CUE, but what about basic G-key assignments? I would like to set up the G-keys as F13-F24 and/or an alternative WASD, and I only need basic backlighting - nothing fancy. Once I have assigned the G-keys, will they still function after disabling CUE? I can't see why not - it's still only standard keyboard output.

Failing that, what is the overhead like for CUE (2.0+)?

I would like to know exactly which K95 functions require CUE to work, and thought I would post here instead of a new thread. I, too, am a bit turned off by the idea of having CUE running in the background all the time.

I understand that macros, actions and lighting effects will not work without CUE, but what about basic G-key assignments? I would like to set up the G-keys as F13-F24 and/or an alternative WASD, and I only need basic backlighting - nothing fancy. Once I have assigned the G-keys, will they still function after disabling CUE? I can't see why not - it's still only standard keyboard output.

Failing that, what is the overhead like for CUE (2.0+)?

You will need CUE active also for the G-keys, those keys are "empty" keys that you remap/assign actions to to make them work. Without CUE they go back to being empty keys.

Thanks. I presume the same applies to the Scimitar mouse.

I did some more research today and it seems that manufacturers are moving away from this kind of onboard programmability and letting software handle everything. I'm guessing it's cheaper and has other benefits like flexibility and usage tracking. It has significant downsides too though, at least for me. Fortunately, there are still a few "smart" keyboards being made, so I guess I will pass on the K95 and Scimitar. It's a real shame because I like them a lot, otherwise!

• Corsair Employees
Thanks. I presume the same applies to the Scimitar mouse.

I did some more research today and it seems that manufacturers are moving away from this kind of onboard programmability and letting software handle everything. I'm guessing it's cheaper and has other benefits like flexibility and usage tracking. It has significant downsides too though, at least for me. Fortunately, there are still a few "smart" keyboards being made, so I guess I will pass on the K95 and Scimitar. It's a real shame because I like them a lot, otherwise!

We have to require software to do the actions and lighting because the onboard hardware isn't capable of doing it. For example, CUE actually sends a ton of information by using the CPU to process RGB data so the LED controller can show it properly without relying on the keyboard's MCU. Keyboards that can do lighting without software are very very limited in comparison (for example, we can do 255 shades of every color on every key simultaneously vs hardware keyboards can only do 1 color across all keys).

You don't need the software for the 1000hz polling rate or to use the keyboard's keys (multimedia, brightness, winlock) since they're programmed via firmware. You will need software though to assign actions to G-Keys or if you want custom animation for lighting.

You don't need the software for the 1000hz polling rate or to use the keyboard's keys (multimedia, brightness, winlock) since they're programmed via firmware. You will need software though to assign actions to G-Keys or if you want custom animation for lighting.

Thanks for responding.

I can understand complex lighting being relegated to the software. No beef there. I can also understand that certain advanced functionality is better handled by software, e.g. auto-profile switching, complex PC-specific actions, and setting up the macro/key assignments.

I would just like to be able to store simple macros/assignments on the keyboard and have the keyboard output them directly (e.g. pressing G13 outputs 'Ctrl-X' directly rather than sending G13 to some software which converts it to 'Ctrl-X'). Your previous keyboards can do this, as can many other macro-capable keyboards, some from many years ago. Is it not possible to keep this functionality while requiring software for the more complex functions?

Requiring software has the following downsides:

• The extra software layer to interpret the keyboard input has the potential to cause input lag.
  • Software is prone to bugs and has a CPU footprint, potentially reducing PC performance.
  • The programmed macros/assignments cannot be used on a computer where you cannot install software (e.g. at work)

Anyway, I am just providing some feedback - I am sure most consumers don't care about these issues, but for me they are deal-breakers.

• Corsair Employees
Thanks for responding.

I can understand complex lighting being relegated to the software. No beef there. I can also understand that certain advanced functionality is better handled by software, e.g. auto-profile switching, complex PC-specific actions, and setting up the macro/key assignments.

I would just like to be able to store simple macros/assignments on the keyboard and have the keyboard output them directly (e.g. pressing G13 outputs 'Ctrl-X' directly rather than sending G13 to some software which converts it to 'Ctrl-X'). Your previous keyboards can do this, as can many other macro-capable keyboards, some from many years ago. Is it not possible to keep this functionality while requiring software for the more complex functions?

Requiring software has the following downsides:

• The extra software layer to interpret the keyboard input has the potential to cause input lag.
  • Software is prone to bugs and has a CPU footprint, potentially reducing PC performance.
  • The programmed macros/assignments cannot be used on a computer where you cannot install software (e.g. at work)

Anyway, I am just providing some feedback - I am sure most consumers don't care about these issues, but for me they are deal-breakers.

What you are asking for is defined as "Hardware Playback" and relies on the device containing storage space to save these. I do agree that this is a nice to have feature and is missing from our current line of peripherals. While I can't dwell on this too much, it is not something we have ignored..

Thanks again, James.

Are you able to give a rough timeframe for the release of the next lineup? I am buying a keyboard today, but I could hold off for a few months if necessary.

In any case, I look forward to keeping an eye on Corsair's future releases.

Thanks again, James.

Are you able to give a rough timeframe for the release of the next lineup? I am buying a keyboard today, but I could hold off for a few months if necessary.

In any case, I look forward to keeping an eye on Corsair's future releases.

Probally not we want James to keep his job. We love James :D

Hi James, I'd just like to add my two cents--I agree with the previous commenters that having the programmability (especially the macro keys) stored in the hardware is a huge benefit, at least for me. This is the way my Avant Stellar keyboard works. I've been trying to replace it for 5 years, but can't find a model that stores the macros in the keyboard hardware like the Avant Stellar. Considering you can buy flash RAM for like $1/GB, it doesn't seem like the price to do this is prohibitive. (especially on the K95 that retails for $190!) Anyway, looking forward to an updated K95 that can save the configuration data in its hardware. Thanks for your support.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question goes along with the original post. I am getting the K65 LUX. I do not want any lighting effects or macros. I do want the ability to change key colors, that is all. Would I need the CUE software to accomplish that and if so, once I have chosen the color for my keys, could I then exit the software or disable it until I wanted to change colors again? Thanks for your response.

• Corsair Employees
Hi James, I'd just like to add my two cents--I agree with the previous commenters that having the programmability (especially the macro keys) stored in the hardware is a huge benefit, at least for me. This is the way my Avant Stellar keyboard works. I've been trying to replace it for 5 years, but can't find a model that stores the macros in the keyboard hardware like the Avant Stellar. Considering you can buy flash RAM for like $1/GB, it doesn't seem like the price to do this is prohibitive. (especially on the K95 that retails for $190!) Anyway, looking forward to an updated K95 that can save the configuration data in its hardware. Thanks for your support.

Flash memory is cheap but MCU processing is much more difficult to implement. The other difficulty is storing macros are easy, storing lighting is quite more complex...

• Corsair Employees
I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question goes along with the original post. I am getting the K65 LUX. I do not want any lighting effects or macros. I do want the ability to change key colors, that is all. Would I need the CUE software to accomplish that and if so, once I have chosen the color for my keys, could I then exit the software or disable it until I wanted to change colors again? Thanks for your response.

Yes you do need the software to change the color of the key, but if its only static lighting you want to use, you can save it to the keyboard after you set the color and you won't need the SW again.