Corsair Community

Value Select and DFI Lan Party Pro B Issue

jeisenhauer

I have recently purchased 4 sticks of the Value Select PC3200 memory, VS512MB400 from New Egg. 2 of the sticks are from Lot# 0451057 and 2 from Lot# 0449128. My system will only boot with 3 sticks installed. I have tried all the sticks in all the slots and nothing I do will allow my system to boot with all 4 sticks (actually it did once but Windows only recognized 1 gig, the BIOS recognized 2 gigs, on reboot, the system started only working with 3 sticks installed). I am stumped as to what could be the issue since all sticks work in all slots but only with 3 sticks instead of all 4. My motherboard is the DFI LanParty Pro875B which supports 4 gigs of memory.

I am actually not able to get into the BIOS with all 4 sticks installed. I have a bad habit of mixing up the terms Post and Boot. What I meant to say was that my system will not Post with all 4 sticks installed. It does post and boot with 3 or less sticks, but will not complete Post with all 4 sticks installed.

• Corsair Employees
Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure one is not failing. But if all of the modules test O.K. and you are still having this problem, which would suggest some other issue. In addition with 4 modules you would need to have 48 Watts just for memory so you may need to have a 450Watt PSU or bigger depending on the system configuration.

Thanks for the advice Ram Guy. One of my sticks did fail mem test#7. One thing that concerns me is that if I place memory from 2 different lot numbers on the same channel (ie slot 1 and 3) my system will not post. If I place memory from the same lot number in the same channel and the third stick in a different channel it will post. So my question is do I need to return the failing stick and the good stick and get 2 sticks from the same lot number, and how do I return this memory for good memory?

Thanks,

Jason.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my replacement memory today. My system still will not post with all 4 modules. I ran memtest again and found another stick failing, this time test #6. I tested the stick in all 4 slots, it failed test #6 in 3 of the slots. I am 99% certian that I sent in the correct stick, but I guess I could have returned the wrong one. In any case, I need to RMA the failing stick. Do I refer to the same post ID for the RMA or do I need a new one?

-Thanks,

Jason.

• Corsair Employees

Jason,

I think I would suggest we go ahead and replace all four modules. So they all match. Please call Customer Service and let them know you just got your RMA back and are having a problem. 888-222-4346 and then Dial "0". Or you can reply to the last email you got from C/S and get a new RMA#.

• 8 months later...

Hi Chaps, I am having the exact same issues with the same memory and same mainboard including the revision no (B). Though my memory is not failing any of the tests.

Any conclusions as yet? the VS512MB400 is listed as compatible with the mainboard on the Corsair website.

• Corsair Employees
If all of the modules pass one up but the system will not post with all four installed that would suggest a problem with the memory controller or the bios version you have may not be new enough to properly support the CPU you have.

• 2 weeks later...
My board has latest BIOS and CPU was supported at time of purchase. I borrowed 2GB of Corsair Twinx 1024-4000 which does work and also checked my VS512MB400 in another system which did work. This memory will not work with this board, I would be happy to exchange the memory and pay the difference for the upgraded memory.

It's more likely a memory controller problem with the i875P chipset. If you fill up all four memory slots on a motherboard equipped with that chipset, the memory modules on DIMM2 and DIMM4 must be single-sided if DIMM1 and DIMM3 are occupied by double-sided modules in order to run at DDR400. Otherwise, the memory speed will default to DDR333 with all four memory slots filled.

My brother found that out the hard way on his Dell Dimension 8300 system, which uses the i875P chipset. He was using four 512MB sticks of PC3200 (DDR400) memory - and almost all 512MB sticks are double-sided. He found that with all four sticks installed, the memory clockspeed defaulted to DDR333. (And on OEM systems like Dell, there is absolutely no way at all whatsoever to manually override the automatic speed detection.)

• Corsair Employees
I would talk to your reseller and see if they can help you with that. Other wise you are welcome to call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and see if there is anything they might be able to do. But we do not sell direct and don’t have an easy way to do this type of transaction.

Archived