Corsair Community

Faulty CMX512-3200LLPT

Hi,

I have bought a pack of TWINX1024-3200LLPT (2xCMX512-3200LLPT) and I seem to have a faulty stick. Here's how I came to my conclusion:

System Components: Asus A8V Deluxe, Athlon64 3500+, all other components known to work from previous system.

I tried for a good day or two to get the system to allow me to install XP Pro and kept getting STOP errors on a BSOD - different ones all the timme but all hardware errors according to M$ support site. I messed around with BIOS settings and eventually got it to install. Setting BIOS back to default meant that the BSOD kep coming back.

Eventually I found that reducing the DDR speed from AUTO to DDR333 (leaving the timings to auto detect) allowed the system to run fine - a few hours torture test on Prime95 and Memtest86 all checked out okay. Changing this back to DDR400 gave back the BSOD.

I then thought it might be soimething with the board trying to run in dual channel mode so I tried duplicating the settings found here at Tom's Hardware for the same mobo with 3200LLPT RAM to no avail - so ste everything back to default. Then I tried one stick at a time - one stick works like a dream at DDR400 (which is how I am able to type this message) and the other dies horribly giving LOADS of errors in memtest and only sometimes allowing XP to boot properly before BSODing me. The weird thing is that this only happens in DDR400 mode - changing back to DDR333 seems to get rid of any problems in memtest (and with windows) with this stick and dual channel DDR333 seems to work fine as well.

Any thoughts on something I might have missed would be great - especially if I can avoid having to send this RAM back!

Cheers,

Shiv

Manchester, UK

• Corsair Employee

Please put the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&4; make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB; load optimized/set up default, and set the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200LL

Advanced CPU/Memory Configuration:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 2:1 (DDR400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

2T Command Rate: Disabled

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.8 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let's make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Hi!

I tired what you said... one stick is fine under memtest (latest ver.) for over 2 passes and the other gives over 900,000 (9 hundred thousand!) errors in the first pass alone. It seems to take time to kick in though:

On the first pass. no errors occured until test 5 but on the scond pass there were errors right from the start of test 1.

Any ideas or does this seem faulty to you?

Shiv

Archived