Corsair Community

New H100i Cooler running HOT?

AshWilliams

Hello Everyone

I used the thermal-paste that came with the cooler when doing the install. I believe I need to change out for some Arctic Silver. I am not 100% sure though. :(:

SYMPTOMS: I am getting numbers jumping all over the place on the Corsair Link Software. I believe that should only go up a degree or two. Just looking at Core #1, it could be 28-61-62-63-28-29 Degrees C at any given moment. The other cores are jumping all over as well. :eek:

I set it higher than Quiet while under no system load for now. I have it continuous speed until i get this resolved.

Do you guys think I have a problem with thermal-paste?

Make sure you set the fan header as suggested above. However, erratic and seeminly random core temp data often does mean the TIM is a mess. Is it possible it got smudged on install? Unfortunately, you have to take it off to find out. At that point, you will need to clean and re-apply anyway. I don't see any advantage to AS5 compared to the pre-applied stuff, but use what you have. TIM is rarely a place to make large gains. Usually skill in application will trump product composition.

Are you sure this is a H100i and not a H100iV2?

I suspect it's a H100iV2 and wonder if you have disabled fan control for the CPU_FAN header in the BIOS. If not you need to.

Thank You for responding.

So, I took Q FAN Control in BIOS to disabled. The numbers are still all over the place with Corsair Link Software. :(:

Make sure you set the fan header as suggested above. However, erratic and seemingly random core temp data often does mean the TIM is a mess. Is it possible it got smudged on install? Unfortunately, you have to take it off to find out. At that point, you will need to clean and re-apply anyway. I don't see any advantage to AS5 compared to the pre-applied stuff, but use what you have. TIM is rarely a place to make large gains. Usually skill in application will trump product composition.

This is my first build in 7 years, and I believe I had help with cooler mounting back then. I put together every aspect myself this time. I have a stick of Artic Silver left over after the build that I never used.

I talked to someone last night and he mentioned could be an air pocket. :mad:

Yeah, that is basically what happens on a very small level. Uneven or over-plentiful TIM heats up and tiny little bubbles expand and pop. The "bubble" does not conduct heat and small hotspots form on the CPU. Relief when the bubble collapses. Makes HWMonitor look like a random number generator.

So the Arctic Silver 5 is 7 years old? I am not sure about shelf life on that product, but that is getting up there in years. I don't think it can be worse than your current situation, but you absolutely do not want to put too much AC5 on anything. Just a little dot will do. Get some on the motherboard and you will be sorry. The next time you go to buy TIM, try something different. AC5 is no longer king of the hill. The MX line from the same manufacturer has replaced it and is a popular choice.

Yeah, that is basically what happens on a very small level. Uneven or over-plentiful TIM heats up and tiny little bubbles expand and pop. The "bubble" does not conduct heat and small hotspots form on the CPU. Relief when the bubble collapses. Makes HWMonitor look like a random number generator.

So the Arctic Silver 5 is 7 years old? I am not sure about shelf life on that product, but that is getting up there in years. I don't think it can be worse than your current situation, but you absolutely do not want to put too much AC5 on anything. Just a little dot will do. Get some on the motherboard and you will be sorry. The next time you go to buy TIM, try something different. AC5 is no longer king of the hill. The MX line from the same manufacturer has replaced it and is a popular choice.

AS5 is from the current build. I bought it anticipating use, but went with the TIM that was one the H110i already. I have some Arctic Silver 5 High-Density AS5-3.5G available.

So, I cleaned everything thoroughly and applied new TIM material. This is Artic MX-5. Corsair links shows the temperatures bouncing around again (30-29-54-53-33-56). I used the pea method to get the coverage, I am believing to think it could be something else. Any ideas? Again, my room is relatively cool and I just loaded it up. It is bouncing at 15% load. :(

If it's at 15% load, it's doing something... It can be hard to track depending upon what you are using to monitor, but Win 10 is sneaky about background tasks and that is what it looks like from here. If the TIM was messy, you would get ridiculous 44-69-32-81-55 kinds of numbers. If the plate doesn't make good contact, it will be elevated all the time and very high on load. Either let it rest for a while or find a way to monitor everything before investing more time cleaning TIM off.

If it's at 15% load, it's doing something... It can be hard to track depending upon what you are using to monitor, but Win 10 is sneaky about background tasks and that is what it looks like from here. If the TIM was messy, you would get ridiculous 44-69-32-81-55 kinds of numbers. If the plate doesn't make good contact, it will be elevated all the time and very high on load. Either let it rest for a while or find a way to monitor everything before investing more time cleaning TIM off.

I did the pea method this time. Nothing messy AFAIK. They are still moving a bit, not as high, with all fans turned up. (25-47-48-26-25-23). When I did the install, I made an effort to keep plate down whole time, to ensure no air gets underneath, plus I did a solid job of hand tightening them.

Get your task manager up to see what's using CPU power. Look at HWMonitor, AIDA, or whatever you have to track individual core activity. Wait until the individual core frequencies all drop down to their stepped down level (0.7 to 1.20 GHz - CPU and overclock dependent). If you are not using C-states/EIST, this may not occur.

I would like to add, temps shown in Corsair Link have the Cores at one group of temps (say 26-27-24) and then jump up to near Package Temp. Is there a way to filter this? The Package Temp shows up with the Processor Core and the Load with that group. Or, did I mount it wrong again and must re-seat it? Real Temp Program sees the same thing. I am not running any real meaty program ATM and this still happens.

I re-applied TIM thinking it was due to my error, no change in the way Corsair outputs the temps. The PACKAGE TEMP is still showing 18-20 degree C higher than CORE TEMPs. Ran it through Real Temp and and Prime 95, they saw no problems, but core temps still show bouncing up to PACKAGE TEMP then back down. I have to attribute this to Corsair or some kind of setting.

This is why I strongly suggest you not use package temp as a comparison variable or as a basis for fan speed. It is CPU model dependent and tends to not follow the expected range. As I type this, my 5930K has core temps (27-30C - hot today), a CPU temp of 32, a water temp of 28C, and a package temp of 42C. It sits at 42C at idle all the time. I am not running Link, so it is nor related to the program. When I apply a heavy sustained load, core temps will jump past package temp and it will sit 10C below the core temps. Don't make decisions based on the package temp. I suspect your block is sitting just fine and the core temps are good. No more fiddling required.

This is why I strongly suggest you not use package temp as a comparison variable or as a basis for fan speed. It is CPU model dependent and tends to not follow the expected range. As I type this, my 5930K has core temps (27-30C - hot today), a CPU temp of 32, a water temp of 28C, and a package temp of 42C. It sits at 42C at idle all the time. I am not running Link, so it is nor related to the program. When I apply a heavy sustained load, core temps will jump past package temp and it will sit 10C below the core temps. Don't make decisions based on the package temp. I suspect your block is sitting just fine and the core temps are good. No more fiddling required.

C-Attack

Thank You for responding. That package temp has been bothering me because core temps have been tracking to it also. I am in total agreement after doing the TIM again, my cores are doing fine. It is that Corsair Program then creating the headache. I ran a Prime95 today and everything, including Package Temp, hover in the 50C range. Then when lightly loaded to 15%, package hangs around 46C and cores around 25C.

Since they are bouncing up, Corsair Program screws up with the fans and curves. I am considering going off of CPU outputs or just making wider custom curves. Any thought on that?

Thank You again.

Is there a reason not to use H100i Temp (coolant/water temp) as the control variable for the fans? This is the intended variable and will result in the least amount of fan volatility. It takes a little time to understand how your water temp scales in relation to daily room temperature and case temperature changes, but this is the big advantage of the Link system. You can move the fan leads to the motherboard and it will work just fine. However, the CPU temp you run on from your board will also bounce around quite a bit and recent Asus boards seem have to difficulty applying their fan spin up/down delays. This again results in frequent speed changes that are not needed. Remember, the fans help remove heat from the water. They do not cool the CPU directly and do not have to keep in step with the dynamic changes in CPU load. The water acts as a 'holding tank' for the heat transferred off the CPU through the cold plate. This is the largest advantage a water system has over an air cooler --- better capacity to hold heat over a short term interval. The fans do no have to be super responsive.

Archived