Corsair Community

H100i v1 Constantly throttling up and down with link software installed

chris285

I have upgraded my system from a i7 3930k with a Asus P9X79 Pro, to a i7 6700k and a Asus Z170 Pro motherboard and transferred my H100i across but i am having a fan throttling issue.

When i have the corsair link software installed the fan speed keeps changing all the time and is very annoying, with it not installed and just using the Asus software it remains at a constant speed but having applied a PWM curve in the BIOS when stress testing the CPU the fan speed did not increase.

I noticed that the Asus software picks up the fan at around 2200rpm and is always sat at this speed, so it seems it is picking up the pump and not the fans and I am struggling to get this working.

On my old PC i just used the corsair link software and this was it, i set the fans to run at the preset speeds and they stayed there and i was happy with this but as i mentioned i get conflicts with the new stuff. Has anyone run into a similar problem and found a solution?

I am short of chassis fan connectors for the case fans and did think about connecting everything through a fan controller, but the cooler has to go on the CPU header so i don't know if connecting all fans off this and running a thermal curve is a good idea or not.

I had the same before I installed it, I can't turn off in the bios from what I have seen as its on pwm by default so it's that rather than fan expert I think

I also think with both installed it confuses the temp of CPU as it was spiking causing the fans spooling up

I am wondering if the cooler i have was never designed to work with PWM in this way and is the issue, I see the h100i v2 states the fans are PWM complient so maybe if i had this cooler not the v1 it would work? But if it is just the fans then i don't see how this would make a difference myself

This may actually help speed up my custom water cooled loop build though lol

The cooler can only work with PWM fans. DC will result in a fixed speed, likely at maximum.

You cannot control the radiator fans from the BIOS when they are plugged into the pump block directly. Set that CPU fan header to 100%/Full Speed/disabled and don't try to control it like a fan. Without Link, the fans will run a default curve based on water temperature inside the cooler (H100i Temp). When using Link, you should use this as the control variable. You will have to learn the range, but water temperature does not equal CPU temperature. Water temperature is the basis for CPU temp + voltage heat.

If you hate LINK and don't want to use it, move the fan connections to the board and use FanXpert/BIOS to control them. If you want to use Link, you may have to uninstall AI Suite if the cooler fans do not respond. However, you should use the H100i temp as the control variable in Link, both to minimize chances of conflict and because that is how the cooler was designed. Since you are short on headers, use the H100i pump to save the fan connection.

Edited by c-attack
v2 to v1 correction

Ok so I don't hate the LINK software, as i stated it worked fine on my old motherboard

Secondly it was doing this with the link software before i installed any asus software to control the fans, the Asus software has the same settings as the BIOS so even if i remove it the BIOS still has the defaults

Thirdly I have the v1 H100i which has no mention of PWM in it's specs

The BIOS does not affect the desktop software programs like Link in this way. The BIOS is not an issue.

You cannot control the radiator fans with any Asus control devices, BIOS or Asus software. The fans are plugged into the pump block and are controlled by the cooler alone. If you want to control them from the board, you must move their connectors to a board header. It would then be controllable through AI Suite or the BIOS and you wouldn't need Link for much. However, this would likely necessitate adjusting fan speed from CPU temps. This can cause very dynamic fan changes, just like the CPU temps.

The H100i v1 absolutely requires PWM fans for its controller to properly work.

There are several possible reasons the fans could be unresponsive. Most of them are fixable and do not relate to the cooler directly.

1) Have to use PWM fans on the H100i pump block. Please confirm if you are or not. If not, the cooler will still work with fan control from the motherboard.

2)What varaible did you assign to the fans in Corsair Link? They really need to run from the H100i Temp group (water temp). Using other varibles can be unpreditable and not very useful.

3) Possible firmware conflict. If you have the older H100i, I believe you have to use the old 2/3 series Link software to upgrade the firmware so you can use the newer 4 series version. This is not my area of expertise, but there are people who can assist you with this, if needed. What version of Link are you currently using?

4) Software conflict - It's possible and somewhat tedious to diagnose. Since you mentioned the problem existed prior to Asus software installation, I might save this for last after the first three are tied off.

Ok not checked this for a few days so i will answer your questions as i have not been at home with the PC for nearly a week now

1 - As it stands the fans do plug into the block on the cpu first, then the second connector goes into the cpu fan head which comes out of the block

2 - I used to run it mostly on the fixed quiet default setting so no curves applied

3 - I can't remember the exact version but it is v4 of the link software

Ok so i have taken another look with the software, and when i left the balance profile on balanced it created the issues i described

However if i apply a custom fan curve to it i seem to have fixed it, it seems the temp reported by the cpu may be creating part of the problem as it seems to spike pretty randomly as i mentiond and creating a custom curve seems to have stopped this.

OK, I am glad the custom curve is to your liking and there is no reason not use one in most circumstances. However, the CPU temperature should have no impact on changes to fan speed when running from the H100i Temp group (water temperature). CPU core temperature spikes while running a program are always related to change in voltage (and then core temperature) in that moment. Fan speed will have no effect on CPU "spikes".

Sorry i will rephrase, what I am seeing is some spikes in the temp package of the CPU in the link program. As the fan cruve is based on this it is causing the fans to spin up sometimes but i have adjusted the curve as well.

I do think there is possibly an install issue on the cpu cooler, either i haven't secured it correctly or the thermal compound used isn't getting the right layer required between the 2.

When i am at home this evening i am going to remove and check when i replace the normal h100i fans with my new mag lev fans

2)What variable did you assign to the fans in Corsair Link? They really need to run from the H100i Temp group (water temp). Using other variables can be unpredictable and not very useful.

It is of course possible you do have a TIM problem between the CPU lid and cold plate. As mentioned, look for erratic, individual core temperature behavior with unnatural, seemingly random changes. Package temperature is a strange metric on many CPUs and the temp range is not always as expected. For that reason, and all the others mentioned in the posts above, it does not make for a reliable basis for controlling your radiator fans. Your fans don't directly affect package temp and CPU temps of any sort are dynamic to volatile. If you link you fans to it, expect them to act the same way. I realize it may take some time to become comfortable with your water temperature range, but this is how the cooler is supposed to work.

If you have a physical gap between the cold plate and CPU, you will have high idle temps and even the slightest of loads will cause large temp spikes on all cores.

Sorry i will rephrase, what I am seeing is some spikes in the temp package of the CPU in the link program. As the fan cruve is based on this it is causing the fans to spin up sometimes but i have adjusted the curve as well.

I do think there is possibly an install issue on the cpu cooler, either i haven't secured it correctly or the thermal compound used isn't getting the right layer required between the 2.

When i am at home this evening i am going to remove and check when i replace the normal h100i fans with my new mag lev fans

You are not alone in this. I am seeing this exact same issue. The temps are at a low of say 23-24-25, then spike up to 41-42-43. 43 being the "Package" temp at the time. It is as if there is some kind of bleed-over of the temps or readings. Tell me if this is what you see overall. It is pretty close to that for me with Corsair Link.

Just noticed something, if I use Real Temp, I see the spike rotating to 1 or 2 of the cores.

Edited by AshWilliams

There does seem to be a slight difference on core temps and packages, but for me it seems to be a matter of 1-2 degrees C and it's changing cores as to the one affected but the package does seem to be higher than the individual core temps

mine spikes to around 60 under full load and it looks like core 3 might be the lowest one which doesn't get affected as much, any suggestions as in should i look to change the profile to this core if it seems less affected?