Corsair Community

400C or 460X Front Radiator Clearance?

HarBear

Hi there,

I am looking to get the 400C or the 460X when it comes out. I have a Predator 360 from EKWB, which has a length of 415mm. My current case is the Fractal Define S, but I am trying to get a smaller case.

I can fit the Predator 360 in the front of the Define S, which has a height of 451mm, while the Corsair 400C has a height of 464mm. So in theory it should fit, but could somebody provide some pictures/measurements so I can know for sure? And are the interior of the 460X similar to the 400C? I am tempted by the temper glass :P

I am hoping someone can give me a definitive answer here. Thanks!

Hmm... you are well past the 395mm listed, which you probably noticed. However, looking at the screen shot below, it looks like there is plenty of room for the pump end up top. The bottom is likely to very tight as well. You also need to be able to remove that hard drive casing just back from the radiator, which may complicate storage issues. There is also a tiny bulkhead on the top front that looks like it will require the fans to be in front with the radiator behind. This was probably your plan anyway, but be aware. There are a lot of "if's" with this.

http://corsair.com/~/media/CC4958E39E944A6D8B4E3364FDC0B0B6.ashx

Hmm... you are well past the 395mm listed, which you probably noticed. However, looking at the screen shot below, it looks like there is plenty of room for the pump end up top. The bottom is likely to very tight as well. You also need to be able to remove that hard drive casing just back from the radiator, which may complicate storage issues. There is also a tiny bulkhead on the top front that looks like it will require the fans to be in front with the radiator behind. This was probably your plan anyway, but be aware. There are a lot of "if's" with this.

http://corsair.com/~/media/CC4958E39E944A6D8B4E3364FDC0B0B6.ashx

Thanks for your reply. The picture seems like I can actually fit it... I don't mind removing the hard drive cage.

Btw, where did you get the 395mm number from?

if you are referring to the front radiator clearance for 395mm, then I am literally missing 20mm...

The 395mm comes from the product page right after the front cooler 360 mounting info (all the way at the bottom). However, I think this is the measurement from floor to the bulkhead above the fans. By mounting the fans against the front, and the radiator behind, you should be able to offset it enough to clear the bulkhead.

It would be shocking if the drive cage can't be removed, but I haven't seen an official source for that.

The 395mm comes from the product page right after the front cooler 360 mounting info (all the way at the bottom). However, I think this is the measurement from floor to the bulkhead above the fans. By mounting the fans against the front, and the radiator behind, you should be able to offset it enough to clear the bulkhead.

It would be shocking if the drive cage can't be removed, but I haven't seen an official source for that.

Awesome. Thank you so much! :)

It would be great if an official can confirm this.

• 1 month later...

I would be interested in an official response to this as well, since i'm considering going with an EK SE 360 radiator in the front in an Corsair 460X.

And officially i would be missing just 5mm of clearance:

Dimensions: 400 x 120 x 26mm (L x W x H)

If putting the fans in front of the radiator would fix this i would consider the 460X my top choice right now for my next upgrade which will be in the next 2-3 months.

Also i should have barely enough clearance for my 315mm graphics card with this combination, considering 370mm - 26mm (radiator) - 25mm (fan) = 319mm, correct?

I don't know if we'll get any one from Corsair to put out a compatibility statement for other products. However, if one of the few 460X owners can measure the height from floor to bulkhead and ceiling, that may take care of that problem.

It's going to be super tight on the GPU as well. I hate to use the 26mm. The casing surrounding it just a little thicker and 30mm is an often suggested number to use when assessing space requirements. That puts you right at the edge. Is the GPU really 315mm? That seems very long. The MSI Seahawk in the picture below is 270mm, so +45mm would be right against it.

For a 360, you still have the obstacle of that lower drive holding cage. From the side view, it appears it will fit, even if the cage is not removable.

http://techbuyersguru.com/sites/default/files/pictures/PAX/PAX2016/Cases/Corsair460XSide.JPG

Yeah, I don't know the AMD series well at all and obviously the 315mm is accurate. I understand the 26mm specification on the radiator, however the 30mm was not meant to be a reclassification, but the suggested distance you need to leave. You cannot have these two thing touch. There will always be vibrations through the radiator from both the fans and flow. Everything would have to be millimeter perfect.

Yes, the GPU will be a tight fit again, the massive heatsink which keeps the card cool and quiet is the main problem, since the PCB is actually pretty short lol.

Thanks to the quite sturdy backplate the card doesn't really sag though, so as long as there's more than 2mm space to the radiator, it should actually work. Worst case would be using thin fans or getting a water block for the Fury as well, though i would rather watercool my next GPU and not the Fury, since it's not even getting hot (72°C total max so far, overclocked to 1.1GHz core with 550MHz HBM) with my current fully aircooled setup.

Judging by your edited picture i think it actually might fit. But i really don't want to order all that stuff and have to possibly mod it or send back, only because it really doesn't fit because of 5mm.

Thanks to the quite sturdy backplate the GPU doesn't really sag though...

I can only imagine how nice that must be. Really tired of looking over and seeing my twin 970's slope downward like an intermediate ski run. Those are short cards too.

Your right, it's going be close. On paper, it looks like it will work, but there is no margin for error. Always a bit of a gamble. One day, in the very distant future, maybe we can actually get genuine specification diagrams for components. Engineering fantasy...

I can only imagine how nice that must be. Really tired of looking over and seeing my twin 970's slope downward like an intermediate ski run. Those are short cards too.

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/xfx-radeon-fury-back.jpg

As you can see, the backplate is quite massive and even the additional cooling fins have some supporting frame. So i don't really have to care about sag, but about the sheer length of the card.

Your right, it's going be close. On paper, it looks like it will work, but there is no margin for error. Always a bit of a gamble. One day, in the very distant future, maybe we can actually get genuine specification diagrams for components. Engineering fantasy...

That would indeed be helpful, but well, we gotta work with what we got right now.

At least i'm pretty sure now, that an 400mm length EKWB SE 360mm should fit, since the one in this pic can't be more than 5mm shorter than the EK one and there seems to still be enough room:

http://www.corsair.com/en/~/media/D3F1F17B43DC4E32BA43B70110E31F61.ashx

http://www.corsair.com/en/~/media/F67E10D8CBAD4F949038C0A5F07AE4CA.ashx

Yes, this is an 400C, but it should be exactly the same i guess.

If there's any official reading this, i still would like to get an official answer. :)

In case anyone is still wondering, computerbase.de did a test and i asked them in the forums. A 400mm 360 radiator will fit easily as in the pictures of the 400c in my last post.

In case of a 240 radiator in the top with the in-/outtake on top of the 360, angled fittings are required.

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to know which pump in the picture above. I was thinking of doing just that setup(Cpu,x2GPU) but the pump recommended was a bit larger which obviously doesn't fit as snugly as the one pictured above.

Thought to self: then again I thought of using 280mm in front instead of the 360.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived