Corsair Community

H80i not working

angeleyes

Greetings.

I have a H80i water cooler which isn't cooling, my system is overheating. I just checked all connections and cables and reseated the cooling block with new paste but no result. This is my last attempt to get any tips for it before I replace the cooler. It's past warranty but it was problematic from start.

It's a i7-4770k cpu, not overclocked, runnning on 0.89V. The motherboard, gpu and hdds maintain 30-40 C, the cpu on which the H80i is mounted doesn't seem to cool at all and throttles. The fans are spinning at around 1100 rpm, but I suspect that the pump isn't working. It's connected to SATA power and the sensor wire rests in CPU_FAN and the Link (working) is connected to the MB USB.

About the only thing I haven't tried yet is a firmware update, which I suppose comes next. Much obliged if anyone can point out the latest DL.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26705&d=1475935887

The H80i is not even listed post the Devices and Printers screen shot so we can see if Windows detected it.

Are the H80i fans spinning and is the USB cable connected?

BTW it's better to use .PNG rather then .JPG for screen shots.

The H80i is not even listed post the Devices and Printers screen shot so we can see if Windows detected it.

No, it has not been detected and is nowhere to be found in the device manager. I'm still on Windows 7 x64, as noted in my profile.

One possibility is a compatibility issue with my Z87 motherboard, which a H80i firmware update might solve... provided that it can be done.

Are the H80i fans spinning and is the USB cable connected?

Yes and yes, it's connected.

Moving the USB cable to another verified USB port and the pump sensor to CPU_FAN2 didn't accomplish anything.

BTW it's better to use .PNG rather then .JPG for screen shots.

If you use lossless png and the purpose is maximal rather than satisfactory graphical quality. Otherwise it depends on how much compression you use.

Edit 2016-10-12: An update. With some luck and considerable difficulty, I installed a different USB cable and ran it outside the case with no result.

This is from the Corsair Link notes for version 3.1.5667:

On certain Intel motherboards (Z87/Z97) that use the Intel USB 3.0 drivers it is necessary to change the “Legacy USB Support” to Disabled in BIOS for detection of the H80i/H100i/Commander units.

But I've already tried to disable Legacy USB support, all that gave me was an inability to use my USB keyboard to enter BIOS. Nevertheless, I will try it with the new cable, and possibly new USB drivers.

Edit 2 2016-10-10: More updates. I tried legacy mode but that didn't do me anything good. I installed the Intel 3.0 USB drivers for the motherboard, still not detecting any H80i. I updated the Intel drivers, nothing, reverted to the old cable, nothing.

I did notice one peculiarity at this point, one of the pump fans not working. Switched them around and the other one stopped working. I plugged it into CPU_FAN for the time being so it's running now. Other than that, no improvement on any front, the H80i is still not detected and obviously not working properly.

Edited by angeleyes

• 4 weeks later...

My final report is that I replaced my H80i with a different brand and my cooling is working better than ever.

Maybe I just had a Monday morning version, one of the fans on the original was so bad that it was excenter right out of the box. Or maybe there was a reason Corsair updated the H80i with a new version.

I was also initially wrong it seems, the Corsair H80i apparently have five years warranty? I may send it in for replacement in a while now that I got it out.