Corsair Community

H115i strange noise

ErmCantThink

I've had the H115i cooler for about a month now. Everything has been going great. Over the past couple of days however I have noticed it's been making a kind of tapping/rattling sound. I have tried to capture it on video but the noise usually only lasts a few seconds at a time. It's not a constant noise but rather one that happens occasionally while playing games. I have never heard it on idle. Normally by the time I have grabbed my phone it has stopped again. I've managed to get my ear close though and from what I can tell the noise doesn't appear to come from the pump covering the CPU but rather the radiator itself. My initial thoughts were trapped air bubbles or the fans vibrating. I have opened a support ticket with Corsair who are keen to RMA it but I thought I would ask for some advice on here as well before I go to the trouble of shipping off my cooler. My temps seem otherwise fine. 20 - 22c idle. around 45c when playing The Witcher 3 and around 50 - 55c when using my video rendering software which puts my CPU at 100% load.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Edited by ErmCantThink

Update: I plugged the USB cable in to the motherboard and the noise appears to have stopped. Previously I did not have the USB plugged in since I had read you did not need it. Since plugging it in however I am able to set profiles for my fans through corsair link and I have left it in balanced mode all evening and not heard the noise. The only time I have heard the noise again is when switching from Quiet to Performance mode while I was testing out the different profiles. It made the tapping/rattling sound again very briefly for around half a second while the fans/pump were adjusting speed and then went away again. Previously when the USB was not plugged in it would happen now and again for a few seconds at a time. Maybe 10 to 20 seconds at most. I am wondering if it is some kind of vibration issue? Corsair have advised me to take the unit back to the retailer however they take a week or so to provide a refund or replacement and I use my PC for work so I want to be sure there is actually a fault before I send it back.

Thanks again! :)

Edited by ErmCantThink

You'll have to wait and see. Given your position and the 5 year warranty, you can wait and RMA through Corsair as necessary. However, the retailer likely has a much shorter return window.

As for the USB, no you don't have to use it, but you certainly do if you intend to use the Link software to control anything. I am a little surprised you were able to change anything at all with it unplugged. Is everything else standard install? Fans into pump block, SATA cable for power, H115i lead to CPU_FAN?

I was not able to change anything until I plugged the USB in. Sorry if my wording was confusing there. Previously I was just using corsair link to monitor temps not actually change any speed profiles. And yeah it's powered by a SATA cable, lead is plugged in to CPU_FAN and the fans in to the pump block. Once I plugged in the USB and left it on Balanced mode the noise went away during extended periods of play. I played Overwatch and The Witcher 3 for several hours this evening and did not hear it once. The only time I briefly heard it again was like I say when I was initially testing out different profiles right after I plugged the USB in and it went from quiet to performance mode. The noise would briefly come back as it adjusted its speeds then I would never hear it again and it didn't even happen every time I switched profiles. Temps otherwise seem fine.

Thank you for your reply.