Corsair Community

H110i identical fans with uneven RPM reporting

a2a

EDIT:

Well, I submitted a ticket and Corsair technical support replied.

Apparently the H110i does not support push-pull if you want to use four fans on the Y-splitter.

Support even stated that I may have damaged the cooler by attaching four fans to the Y-splitter. :[pouts: That would be a bummer, but it's weird that four .2A fans would have damaged it somehow? That's not even 1A total, which is what most mobos support per header.

Unfortunate! I guess I will have to look elsewhere for a more professional cooling solution that supports enthusiast setups!

In the meantime I will just use my motherboard headers for two of the fans, and run the other two from the Hydro's Y-splitter - - or at least maybe from one of them, since it's possible that the other one is damaged and now won't supply full voltage?

I'll perform some tests and let people know.

That's an important detail for folks to know - - no four-fan support, and you may damage the unit trying to do so!

###

Hello all! Hoping someone has had this issue (and a solution!)

Hydro 110i in a push-pull configuration

Four fans, exact same models, top and bottom (PH-F140MP which are PWM fans)

I used two 4 Pin PWM-Y splitter fan cables to connect the fans to the Hydro's fan connector, which of course only has TWO fan connectors on it.

The splitters are good ones that have ONE of the RPM pins omitted in the Y, so that you don't get competing RPM reports!

Followed Corsair's standard setup for a Hydro on my ASUS Z170 motherboard, USB header connected, SATA power plugged in, and the three-pin Hydro connector is on the CPU motherboard header. Q-Fan is disabled in BIOS, RPM on the CPU header is set to DC and "maximum."

Here's the punchline, though - -

In Corsair Link the BOTTOM two fans, which are "Fan #1" report a max RPM of around 1600 and I can easily change that up and down.

The TOP two fans, though, "Fan #2," show a max RPM of around 563 and I just can't get them to budge any higher?

What's going on here, and how do I fix it?

Identical fans, I would expect that I could get the top fans up to around 1600 RPM as well?

Here's a shot of everything set to "maximum" - -

http://i.imgur.com/QwC8XNe.png

And the pesky "Fan #2" - -

http://i.imgur.com/hH6Iuuu.png

Thanks for any ideas!

:biggrin:

-a2a

Edited by a2a

jty-NzOBMofiY6Z9VV9Dc1a4hVHWDK7oVW3I57UmdJA?size_mode=3&size=1024x768

Not showing fan 2.

i get idle tems 40+

Cool, thanks for the reply!

So, I'm guessing you HAVE a fan on header 2 ... But it just doesn't show?

You have stock fans? Replacement fans?

I'm starting to think that I have a defective unit, I tried several other fans on my "fan #2" header, and none of them register above "500rpm max" despite being high RPM fans.

Guessing that this is a manufacturing/firmware defect.

Too bad, I was considering a second 110i for my other build, but looks like they don't support push/pull and have poor support in general for even stock fan setups? :[pouts:

Updated the first post - - Corsair tech support let me know that the H110i does not support push-pull using four fans on the Y-splitter. People wanting a high-end solution should probably look elsewhere. Maybe the 115i supports it?

Marketing literature aside, you should not consider the H115i a higher level of cooler than what you have now. It does have a different arrangement on the fan controller with a 2.0A limit for 1 channel versus a 2.0A limit divided by 2, but I don't necessarily consider that an improvement. The rather flimsy and unsubstantiated rationale for the current condition does not inspire confidence either.

I don't know if your second fan controller channel is damaged or not, but there are other places this might have gone wrong. I assume you have already tried to control fan 2 with a single fan and it is also non-responsive. Additionally, I do not recognize the fans you are using. I can tell most models in the 140mm class by RPM maximum alone, but this one eludes me. Can you tell me what they are? It doesn't matter if they aren't Corsair.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, nice to have someone to talk about it with!

I assume you have already tried to control fan 2 with a single fan and it is also non-responsive.

I am going to try again tomorrow (computer is at my office). I think that I only tried to swap the top/bottom on the Hydro's channels, and didn't try just a single fan back on both channels. I'm going to put the top two on the motherboard, and I'll update once I do all that.

Additionally, I do not recognize the fans you are using. I can tell most models in the 140mm class by RPM maximum alone, but this one eludes me. Can you tell me what they are? It doesn't matter if they aren't Corsair.

Phanteks "PH-F140MP," 500 - 1600 ± 250 rpm, 68.1 CFM, 17 - 25.3 dB(A)

I have really liked them, nice sound profile, seem to perform well.

PH-F140MP Radiator Fan

Product Code : PH-F140MP

The PH-F140MP, 140mm high static pressure premium fans from Phanteks is designed with the Maelström concept technology. The fans have PWM built-in, creating less cables which allows users to make speed adjustments from 500-1600RPM.

I wonder what "The fans have PWM built-in, creating less cables which allows users to make speed adjustments" means and wonder if the fan controls it's own speed. How many wires are connected to the 4-pin connector?

I wonder what "The fans have PWM built-in, creating less cables which allows users to make speed adjustments" means and wonder if the fan controls it's own speed. How many wires are connected to the 4-pin connector?

Ha! I am thinking that's a "lost in translation" moment. The phrasing on that sentence on their website is just a bit odd, and what is trying to be said is "these fans are PWM."

These Phanteks are just standard PWM fans. Four wires, nothing unusual or fancy.

Here's a recent review of them:

http://thermalbench.com/2015/01/07/phanteks-ph-f120mp-ph-f140mp-fans/

Thanks for chiming in, BTW. Glad to have more input on this issue!

Phanteks "PH-F140MP," 500 - 1600 ± 250 rpm, 68.1 CFM, 17 - 25.3 dB(A)

Interesting. I have a pair of the PH-F140SP kicking around, but I didn't realize the MP was so substantially different, both in blade and motor. That is a strange turn of phrase on PWM description, but I have no idea what it could be other than the normal PWM wiring.

I suppose the only thing you can do is test the fans individually and then perhaps the splitters with fan pairs from the motherboard. I have had some strange reactions when using certain spliiters on certain fans over the years. Changing the splitter out to a different brand resolved the issue, but there is no reason to do that until you can replicate it.

Well, an update for anyone playing along at home - -

Tried a SINGLE fan on each SINGLE Hydro header, and only "Fan #1" reported the maximum RPM for that fan.

"Fan #2" is stuck at around 500, no matter what fan is placed on it.

Rebooted after changing fans, checked all wiring carefully, and even went back to the original supplied Corsair fans.

Nothing. Stuck with low RPMs on "Fan #2"

SO, big question - - could I **really** have damaged the second fan header by placing two fans on it??

I am considering RMAing this unsatisfying piece of hardware, but wonder if Corsair will tell me I damaged the unit and not help me out. Ugh, this is so frustrating. Not a good first time out with AIO cooling solutions or Corsair.

Is it really possible? I would figure the unit would just not work if you hit the fan limit, not get damaged!

Can any experts speak to that?

Has anyone else actually damaged a Hydro by attaching too many fans?

Thanks, everyone!

OK, looks like fan controller #2 is damaged or defective. You can damage the controller with high current draw. The rest of the unit still functions, so it does seem the a portion of the fan controller is at fault. This was a common problem on some of the previous generation of coolers and a more resilient set of circuits was one of the advertised set of features on the current GT/X/v2 line. However, there is no way 0.40A (0.20x2) should be able to damage anything with that controller. That wouldn't have left a mark on the prior model either and is massively below the amperage limit for the cooler. Furthermore, there is no written warning about using more than one fan per controller and the two fans you are using have more or less the same current draw as a single SP140L stock fan. This appears to be a defect and should be covered under the warranty.

There was a time when this would have been straightened out rather quickly within this thread by someone from Corsair and you would have been guided to replace the cooler through the RMA system. If it is Corsair's intention to limit warranty claims when the end user uses alternate fans or that these coolers cannot run push-pull with Corsair fans or anyone else's, then they need to explicitly say so. There are an awful lot of people who fall into both categories.

someone from Corsair and you would have been guided to replace the cooler through the RMA system.

I feel that Corsair no longer doing this is all in all rather poor.

I advise you to request an RMA via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and see what they say.

Well, I submitted a ticket and Corsair technical support replied.

Apparently the H110i does not support push-pull if you want to use four fans on the Y-splitter.

Support even stated that I may have damaged the cooler by attaching four fans to the Y-splitter. :[pouts: That would be a bummer, but it's weird that four .2A fans would have damaged it somehow? That's not even 1A total, which is what most mobos support per header.

I feel this is incorrect information. Given the H110i can supply a total of 2.0 amps and you are using 0.8 amps this should not have happened. Yet again I feel the Corsair support staff need additional training.

I have most of that running connected to my Commander Mini. My config is:

Commander Mini w/ 12 SP LED fans

RGB LED lighting kit

Dual Dominator Airflow Platinum fans being driven by a cooling node and a lighting node respectively

AX860i

CLink only gets fussy when you change CL hardware, but if you install it from the get go with the proper configuration and do a couple reboots just to be safe, it works. At least mine does.

Given Corsair Dustin specified a CL Mini will support 12 fans for Corsair support to say a H110i will not support 4 fans is a joke :eek:.

Thanks, c-attack and red-ray.

You two are the real MVPs in this forum! Appreciate all your advice and data.

I have been working the support site in parallel with my posts here, and have now requested an RMA.

Agreed, the voltage/amperage argument from the Corsair tech does not add up. I think I just have a bunk unit! Thanks for your useful thread, by the way, red-ray: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156661

I will post more as things resolve (or not!).

• 2 weeks later...
It's good to know you found it useful, but I suspect it's tricky to find. I feel Corsair should make it sticky and that you should post to it so it's on the first page for a while.

Good luck with the RMA.

All righty, update time - -

RMA arrived, I installed it, and the problem is completely solved.

I can now achieve the correct maximum RPM on both PWM fans connected to the Hydro's headers, one on each header:

http://i.imgur.com/7L94pFo.jpg

No more issues where the "Fan #2" was locked at around 600 RPM, no matter what fan I attached to it.

And, at the advice of Corsair support, I have placed the OTHER two PWM fans that I wanted to use for the "pull" of my push-pull setup on a totally separate header on the motherboard.

Take note, if anyone else was thinking about it...

Corsair support stated that the 110i **can not** support FOUR fans, two on each header.

So, problem solved, I feel resolved!

Time to start overclocking this 6700K ! 4.8GHz here I come... :D:

And, at the advice of Corsair support, I have placed the OTHER two PWM fans that I wanted to use for the "pull" of my push-pull setup on a totally separate header on the motherboard.

Take note, if anyone else was thinking about it...

Corsair support stated that the 110i **can not** support FOUR fans, two on each header.

I'm glad you are back up and running. However, if the above statement is true than Corsair need to put a big fat warning at the top of this forum and likely all over the product instructions. Too many people are going to be fooled after calculating the power draw for their fans and those looking to buy need to know this before purchase.