Corsair Community

Thermal Paste on H115i

Odysseyalien

Folks,

I'm planning a new build and of the many I've done, this will be my first with water cooling the CPU. More specifically, cooling the CPU with an H115i. I'm also planning to cool my MSI GTX 980ti with an H75/Kraken G10 combo.

Is the rule of thumb around here to simply use the TIM that comes pre-applied on the heat sinks of these devices on a fresh install? Is the performance with the pre-applied TIM considered optimal rather than cleaning it off and using an aftermarket TIM?

Thanks.

yes you can leave it on first install and monitor the temps. If its not normal beyond ambient or if you remove it from the cpu and while reinstalling 2nd time its is suggested to re-apply if you found any leftover's As mostly the tim stays in the cooler block only few will stick to cpu.

Post the temp snap to review the same

Use the pre-applied stuff the first time around. It's as good as anything in the normal retail market and chasing a 1C difference is pointless. Skill in application usually trumps the chemical properties and it's hard to get the pre-applied wrong with a smooth spread.

There are some high dollar TIMs ($20-30) that can make a small difference on high TDP overclocked CPUs, but I would still use the pre-applied the first time for a comparison point.

I just received my h115i and there is no pre applied tim...... I already order arctic silver but what have i to think about that??? They sold me an used model??? I sent a mail to have an answer but it's weird... Everywhere i can read that it come with this pre apllied tim...

If you take a good look at the cold plate on the pump, it should be easy to tell if it's used. No matter how much you try and polish it, a used model will have some signs of discoloration, light non-symmetrical scratches, etc. A brand new unit probably will show some mill marks, but they will be concentric and very even, plus the expected luster.

For my I-115 I plan to remove the stock paste and use Thermal grizly one: According to some comparatives I have read It gives the best results. Now with all that said the gain should be 1-2 celsius grades only, so you must consider If the pain worths the gain. In my case I plan to do a heavy overrclocking and every little bit helps.

I suggest avoiding the metal based compounds unless you have supreme confidence in your skill or the ability to replace your system components on demand. GC Extreme is a good choice, although it is quite viscous and might pose a little challenging for novice users. Best to lay down a dot or line and let the clamping force work out the rest.