Corsair Community

Installing Corsair Vengeance 12GB DDR3 Tripple Channel RAM

StevenPuttemans

I had a Foxcon Flamingblade GTI motherboard with Intel Core i7 processor and 6 GB in RAM (tripple channel DDR3, patriot, 3x2GB). However 1 of the RAM cards broke down some time ago (tested by adding each single card, and one did not fire up the system)

Now I bought corsair vengeance 12GB DDR3 RAM 3x4GB which should run on my motherboard by overclocking as to the specs of the motherboard (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000458)

I ensured that MXP was enabled inside BIOS, because the memory carries an MXP profile, but from the moment that I add more than one of the three new cards to the system, my pc is unable to start and motherboard keeps giving beeping sound.

Kind of a desperate noobie here in RAM replacement, but I was promised by the seller that the memory would fit. Anyone got any clue what I could do?

A small update

* Putting in 1 x 4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE memory results in award bios detecting the 4GB of RAM and Windows starting up just fine with 4GB of memory. The award bios has MXP enabled and at the memory overview it clearly states that there is 1600 Mhz memory detected and the correct amount.

* Putting in 2 x 4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE memory results in award bios detecting the 8GB of RAM and Windows starting up but generating a new memory access error each time it reboots. The award bios has MXP enabled and at the memory overview it clearly states that there is 1600 Mhz memory detected and the correct amount.

* Putting in 3 x 4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE memory results in the POST not finishing and giving a continious beep. According to the award bios overview for POST signals, this indicates a RAM issue, as described here (http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm)

The order of the memory sticks in which I do this does not differ, so that leaves me to believe that there is not a wrong or broken RAM in the new package.

I noticed that in award bios after taking default settings and reactivating mxp, that DRAM voltage is red and at 1.7V. According to the internet, the red means that someone configured it to run at a higher voltage then default. However my corsair DDR3 RAM is suggested to run at 1.5V so I would wish to lower it. When entering the overview of voltages however, I cannot find the bios tab that allows me to set this. Is there are way to lower this to the prescribed 1.5V? If Yes can someone explain me how?

Finally when looking at the RAM sticks, I notice they suggest using 9-9-9-24 timings on the label. However, I am not able to locate the place where this values need to be entered in Award BIOS. Is someone able to point me there into the correct direction?

NEW info: just looked up my cpu configuration. Its a Intel®Core i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz 2.93 GHz, which I derived from the Windows System tool.

Edited by StevenPuttemans
Better explanation

After digging around I got the RAM to fire up this morning using the following procedure

1. As suggested I resetted the CMOS without DRAM and tried installing the RAM afterwards. However, this led to a new error after the POST, namely a 4E on the 2 segment displays. After some googling I found the following topic on this website: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/321649-30-12gb-memo...

2. So following the suggestion in that topic, I updated my BIOS version from version 7 to version 10.

3. After doing so I had to reset the CMOS again, then enter the RAM memory, then open up BIOS and load the default optimized values. This got my system to work.

However, now I am experiencing that my memory is running at 1033Mhz instead of 1600Mhz and that timings are not as suggested on the RAM sticker itself. Current is

DRAM frequency 534.5 MHz

FSB:D RAM 2:8

CL 8

tRCD 8

tRP 8

tRAS 20

tRFC 86

CR 1T

while the RAM says it should run at 9-9-9-24. Enabling the XMP profiles inside BIOS and letting it auto configure resulted in a Windows that keeps crashing at startup due to different memory access issues.

At the moment I am wondering exactly what the SPD data is and feel you should post a screen shot showing the SPD data.

You could use my SIV to get this by pressing the [sPD] button. The initial screen would also be handy.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach .PNG files.

You should also add your PC specs to your profile as specified in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77167

However, now I am experiencing that my memory is running at 1033Mhz instead of 1600Mhz and that timings are not as suggested on the RAM sticker itself.

That is normal for an older platform like X58 that does not support DDR3-1600 by spec. You would have to enable the XMP for that or if that fails have to manually adjust the settings for DDR3-1600. Maybe there is still a tutorial out there somewhere about how to set up DDR3-1600 on the Foxconn models.

Please see the links in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=873373&postcount=9 for further information.

Edited by emissary42

That is normal for an older platform like X58 that does not support DDR3-1600 by spec.

I did not find this as my X58 system has run the Triple Channel memory at 1.60GHz from day one with no issues and all I did was enable XMP in the BIOS. Further I am using a total of 6 DIMMs that were bought as 3 lots of 2 DIMMs :eek:.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26603&stc=1&d=1475059368

X58.thumb.png.3f002c166bd5c4702ff1962fb6a840dc.png

I did not find this as my X58 system has run the Triple Channel memory at 1.60GHz from day one with no issues and all I did was enable XMP in the BIOS.

and what i wrote was:

"That is normal for an older platform like X58 that does not support DDR3-1600 by spec. You would have to enable the XMP for that or if that fails have to manually adjust the settings for DDR3-1600."

Maybe you could at least try to actually read my posts :winking:

So you removed your original post, nice...

@StevenPuttemans: This is a very basic guide about overclocking Intel processors that does also contain information on how to set up DDR3-1600 with a bloomfield gen processor - http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/ or http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/ If you already know the basics and want something more specific and in depth look for the Review of the Foxconn Flaming Blade GTI that windwithme did. From my memory it contained screenshots and settings for DDR3-1600 and DDR3-2000.

Edited by emissary42

For DDR3-1066 the JEDEC timings should be 7-7-7-20 actually.

Actually this is only the case for DIMMs that specify a 533MHz clock in the JEDEC SPD and some DIMMs do not.

This why I asked for the SPD data as unlike some I don't post incorrect information.

Edited by red-ray

Red Ray and emissary42, thanks for all the feedback. Going through it one step at a time and will report back with the necessary data!

Will add the configuration to my profile btw!

BTW I appreciate the help of both and after reading all the replies I am just happy that someone picked it up. Will generate the screenshots later this evening when being at home.

Tried running them simply with XMP enabled yesterday night, but Windows did not fire up correctly after POST, and kept crashing with memory issues.

Okay so here are the screens you demanded, the original screen and the spd screen.

I guess it is clear. My system is running a clock of 134Mhz, which at a 8 multiplier for the memory in my bios results into the 1069MHz.

In meanwhile I am going to try some suggestions I found on the net today and will get back to you with that.

siv_start.thumb.PNG.09ad563d3734fbd75ea25b775814cf88.PNG

siv_spd.PNG.c9e7413b605cc1a5ae436825f92afdff.PNG

attachment.php?attachmentid=26610&d=1475094702

attachment.php?attachmentid=26611&d=1475094714

The 1.07GHz (533 MHz clock) and 8-8-8-20 now make sense as JEDEC 2 is only a 518 MHz clock, so JEDEC 3 is being used. If you check [_]Speed I predict SIV will report 533 MHz 8-8-8-20 for JEDEC 3.

I wonder why the DIMMs are not running at 1.33 GHz as JEDEC 4 specifies the DIMMs support this. Do you know?

By default when you enable XMP only 1.50 volts will be supplied to the DIMMs. I suspect if you manually set 1.55 volts this may help, but this is not something I have ever needed to do myself. I would Google before doing this.

Edited by red-ray

So new configuration tested by going into bios and

- Activated XMP profiles

- Changed the auto profile select to profile 1 manual selection (read in an online user group that the auto function tends to fail sometimes)

- Disabled TURBO mode (an overclocker reported that this setting disabled the Foxconn Flamingblade GTI in combo with i7-920 auto disables overclocking if the TURBO is on)

Then rebooted and it seem to work. New SIV overview available clearly showing the memory running at 1600MHz.

So now only 2 questions remain

1) I have a stock fan on my CPU, so did not try to overclock that one. Is it possible to even overclock without better cooling? Is it worth the hassle?

2) Do you guys suggest anything to improve my system setup?

new_settings.thumb.PNG.94e320270252ce4ea38f757f440a0da9.PNG

attachment.php?attachmentid=26612&d=1475096180

1) I have a stock fan on my CPU, so did not try to overclock that one. Is it possible to even overclock without better cooling? Is it worth the hassle?

2) Do you guys suggest anything to improve my system setup?

I see you have set the Uncore to 3.20GHz which should speed up memory access.

1) I don't know, but expect someone will. I would see how stable things are for a while and take it from there.

2) The XMP specifies a Command Rate (CR) of 2T, but you are using 1T. Is this intentional?

I see you have set the Uncore to 3.20GHz which should speed up memory access.

1) I don't know, but expect someone will. I would see how stable things are for a while and take it from there.

Problem has been up till now that I was unable to manually edit the overclocking values due to some setting greying/blocking them out. Not sure if it is going to work now.

So I guess all these settings where made due to the XMP profile setting.

My idea is indeed to see if ths system is stable.

2) The XMP specifies a Command Rate (CR) of 2T, but you are using 1T. Is this intentional?

I think you are misreading? The SPD summary only states 2T at the 533MHz base clock, but I am now running on the secnd XMP2.1 setting, which is 800MHz. Or at least that is what I was aiming to go for.

I think you are misreading? The SPD summary only states 2T at the 533MHz base clock, but I am now running on the secnd XMP2.1 setting, which is 800MHz. Or at least that is what I was aiming to go for.

All those XMP setting are always the same and are 2T and 1.5 volts.

Further all the JEDEC are 1.5 volts.

OK about CPUZ, I feel it's always best to ask a few utilities. I suspect CPUZ will also report 2T for XMP 2, but it only reports one of the XMP as I recall.

Edited by red-ray

I will boot back into bios in 15 minutes and report back.

OK, I have just looked at page 39 of the manual and suspect it would be simple enough to get SIV to report all of those voltages and use the correct fan names.

If you would like me to do this then e-mail me the save files, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=788225 for what I need.

Some new wrapups

- I tried enabling xmp profile 2 to see if that changed anything, but that one simply rendered my pc useless, not being able to get into BIOS anymore and requiring a hardware CMOS reset to get back at work

- I added 3 screens of my BIOS. As you can see, most memory options are not accessible and I have no idea how to access them. I confirmed that all passwords are disabled.

- I mailed you the files you requested from my gmail mail.

bios1.thumb.jpg.5fd29303d5a31f092bd46d7df9a6905c.jpg

bios2.thumb.jpg.5088b397c9a2e1aecff454acc11445fd.jpg

bios3.thumb.jpg.5e45f832fd8d6553b50da7a8ec2ac885.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=26615&d=1475101623

- I mailed you the files you requested from my gmail mail.

I expect you need to change CR (Command Rate) from auto to 2.

Thank you for the SIV save files which I will check tomorrow. A screen shot showing the current BIOS hardware monitor readings would be handy.