Corsair Community

RM750x Ground Loop Noise Usb Soundcard

MaxGer

Hello Corsair Forum/Support

I have a Problem with my Corsair RM750x PSU.

I assembled my new Computer last Week and everything is running smoothely except i get a HUGE Ground Loop noise under Load in combination with my external USB-Soundcard.

Because this Computer is supposed to be for Music Production a clean audio signal is a must have for me.

I already dug deep into the Issue myself to make sure that if I adress this Problem I do it at the right adress, and sorry to say but it seems to be you Guys.

My Studiomonitors/Speakers, my USB Soundcard with own Powersupply, and my Computer are all in the same Powercircuit/Powerstrip. The Monitors are connected to the Soundcard with balanced XLR Cables. And I can say with confidence that in general I know what I am doing audio wise and that the Groundnoise was not existent before running the same setup just with my laptop instead of the new PC.

In the end i was even able find proof by temporaraly installing a so called "USB-Isaolator" which is a plug that goes inbetween the USB Connection of PC-Soundcard which tackles the Ground Noise with "galvanic separation"(roughly translated from german) Bottom line is: The noise was gone.

Problem is: That USB-Isolator would cost me 260€ which is unnessary money to spend because the source of the problem is preventable,..by installing a high quality psu, which i thought i did with th RMx line.

My Question to you guys would be:

Do I have a faulty PSU and is this very unusual to happen with the RMx Line and should I give another one a try.

Or would the only way to guarantee that its running seamlessly buying youre top of the line range AXi.

If I take my Computer apart an reinstall the PSU and do all cablemanagement again I want it to be the last time because It's a pain in the *** for me. So which PSU would be guaranteed to be Groundnoise-Free for my Audio-Production Setup?

Best Regards

Max

Hamburg, Germany

1. My speakers (JBL LSR305 which has 3 wire connectors, Tannoy have 2) which had a hiss problem was solved by plug them into an outlet without ground and the computer into a grounded outlet. This also increased dynamic range by a lot.

2. Test vice-versa of the above

3. You can try behringer hd400

4. You can try a USBhub from PCI-EX to USB 3.0

5. You can try a USB splitter with outlet power requirement

6. You can try a 5v linear PSU and a USB splitter, 1 for the power and 1 for the signal.

7. Almost any PC PSU does not have galvanic separation, there is no linear PSU above 400W for PC and at a good price. They are big, bulky even for small power PC requirements. You can have one but you cannot use such thing for gaming. Only unknown brands do linear PSUs. All known brands are doing switching PSUs.

8. There are a lot of expensive outlets can do the trick but they are expensive as you said, but some USB filters are cheap like Audioquest Jitterbug, Ifi Audio iPurifier first edition or 2nd edition, art cleanbox etc

9. Some expensive motherboards have some filters but they are only for their included soundcard, it's not for USB filtering.

10. We live in a world where companies care only about profit without investing in developing new technology. Old PSUs didn't had this problem, all PSUs were linear, now when we have the technology, humans built only noisier PSUs, just for the maximum profit. Back in the days, nobody cared about the size of a PSU or the size of a computer. Now nobody cares about the clarity of the current inside a PSU. If it measures 12v, it's all that matters for them and for most consumers. At least they developed LED lights into PSUs, they help a lot. I don't know why they help, but they do. It should, that's why they put lights in them. They have their reasons.

An idea of linear PSUs http://www.acopian.com/linear-regulated-power-supply-models.html or you can buld your own configuration.

Edited by GraveNoX