Corsair Community

Help after botched h100i v2 install

YamiOkami

So, I decided to go ahead and begin building my PC yesterday. The parts I currently own are listed in the specs with more on the way.

When I was installing it, I must have tightened the thumb screws too tight on attempt #1 (Oh yeah, it gets bad) and I didn't feel safe. Took off the waterblock, cleaned up the thermal paste on both the CPU and the waterblock. (Using 70% alcohol and a lint-free cloth, shouldn't be any issues there). There was an imprint of the CPUs IHS on the waterblock of the cooler, which nearly gave me a heart attack. Re-installed with the correct standoffs, booted it up and it worked fine. Just to go into the BIOS and notice my CPU temp was at 70C and I had only just turned it on.

I removed the thumb screws, only this time, the new standoffs (Which I had previously verified were the correct ones for the 115x socket CPUs), the thumb screw was caught on the standoff and unscrewed it from the back plate. I'm not sure how this happened, but it happened on two sides. I made sure that they were in tight before I began installing the waterblock. I removed the backplate and it took a pair of pliers to remove one of the thumbscrews from the standoff, and upon removing the second one, the standoff screw bit with the thread snapped off inside of the thumbscrew. I went ahead and ordered a new set of mounting hardware (Which I'm hoping comes with the standoffs and thumbscrews, corsair doesn't specify).

What went wrong? Is it a CPU issue or a Cooling issue if the temps are that high at boot?

There is no real way to tell if the problem is with the water flow or the contact between block and CPU without some comparative data. However, I'll go with the odds and say this was 99.999% likely a contact issue. If you don't get the plate and CPU in full contact, the heat can't effectively transfer into the water system. This is an instance where microns matter and that's the TIM's role in the process.

As a general rule, you should not need tools for the install. Hand-tightening is enough. If you want to add an extra 1/4 turn with a screwdriver, that's fine -- but no more.

• 2 weeks later...