Corsair Community

h115i purpose of cpu fan header plug

henmen123

I have the h115i watercooler and I am wondering what the purpose of the h115i cpu 3 pin plug is used for that is supposed to be plugged in to the cpu fan port on the motherboard. I looked at it and it only has 1 pin that is used out of the 3 pins. Is it just for reporting pump speed? Mine shows 1450rpm on the motherboard which is different than what my pump speed is set to. Is it needed? I noticed I had my old h115i that I rma'd plugged into a molex to 3 pin adapter but no pins were actually plugged in since the adapter only uses 2 pins.

For the H115i, supposedly it can report a fan speed to the board. Not super useful since the USB cable and Link do that as well. However, it's more immediate purpose is dealing with CPU boot errors. In a basic tower system with 2 front intake fans, a top mounted water system as exhaust, and 1 rear fan, the H115i fans are powered and controlled from the pump block. Something has to be on CPU fan. You don't really want case fans there since it is usually limited to CPU temp regulation and that is a lousy way to control those fans. It is basically a dummy header to satisfy that requirement. Other coolers use the motherboard connection in a different way, so this is H115i specific.